Carrying 2 bikes on the car, Peugeot 208.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tailendman

Regular
A little left field idea... I've been using a Seasucker Mini Bomber for 2 years now and I believe that they carry up to 2 bikes at 20kg each. It can be mounted on the rear window (vehicle dependant) but I use mine solely on the roof for both and store the two front wheels in the boot.
Sorry but Seasucker has no fail safe. If you do not fix correctly or leave it too long then fixing is lost. Please add failsafe cable if you use on the highway.

Sixmile

Veteran
Sorry but Seasucker has no fail safe. If you do not fix correctly or leave it too long then fixing is lost. Please add failsafe cable if you use on the highway.

Sorry but I'm not having some big wire cable smacking off the roof on the motorway. If you do not fix any bike rack or bike correctly then there is a danger. There's no way to say that more bikes fall from Seasucker racks than any other form of rack. Each suction cup is strong enough to hold the rack on its own so even if one fails there are 3 others still holding. It's never fitted too long either, off and on for each journey and tucked in the corner of the boot til next time it's needed. Though, I would say it's not for nervous drivers.

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and comments, it’s really been helpful!
I’ve managed to buy a Thule EasyFold, price matched with a company linked in the thread, but from Halfords, saving £100, and clearing the messy ‘not being home for delivery’ issues with courier deliveries! I can collect this tomorrow.
The saved cash helps towards a Main Dealer towbar, ensuring my warranty doesn’t have issues, and also the the towbar and electrics are coded to my car correctly, also with some decent backup if things don’t work out!
The Cube Ebike and Cannondale 29er will fit within weight limit for the towbar, even with the battery in place, so, overall, I’m a happy geezer!
For the record, I did consider every possible alternative, including a change of vehicle, but, my car despite being a 2014 model, has only 18k on the clock, £20 a year tax, 50mpg, a main dealer service history with MOT guarantee, a free next service, no issues, and suits me in every other way. Any change would be a backward step for me at the moment so I really wanted to keep this car. I even thought of a cheap van, just for the bikes, but have no space to keep this, and then there’s additional cost for tax/Insurance etc.
Alternative carrying methods were checked and rechecked, and none fit the bill like the Towbar platform carriers, and there are at least 3 which could have done, but the folding Thule will fit in the boot of my small car, where, even with the front wheel off, the Cube bike wouldn’t fit!
A costLy end maybe, but with the car likely to do me for a good few years, a happy wife who won’t change away from her ebike, and some wonderful longish rides 30 or so miles away, our future has been enhanced by this purchase.
As someone who once managed to persuade my partner to cycle a tandem from Sussex to Portsmouth, endure a ferry to Guernsey, sleep in a tent, ride in the rain, and try some hills to see the seashell church, I think we still have some fun, healthy and enjoyable rides together from now on.... we’re doing a local charity ride in May, over the downs for 30k, and have others planned, so overall, it’s a great purchase for us.
Thanks again for your helpful musings!
SnG

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I’ve managed to buy a Thule EasyFold, price matched with a company linked in the thread, but from Halfords, saving £100, and clearing the messy ‘not being home for delivery’ issues with courier deliveries! I can collect this tomorrow.
The saved cash helps towards a Main Dealer towbar, ensuring my warranty doesn’t have issues, and also the the towbar and electrics are coded to my car correctly, also with some decent backup if things don’t work out!
The Cube Ebike and Cannondale 29er will fit within weight limit for the towbar, even with the battery in place, so, overall, I’m a happy geezer!
For the record, I did consider every possible alternative, including a change of vehicle, but, my car despite being a 2014 model, has only 18k on the clock, £20 a year tax, 50mpg, a main dealer service history with MOT guarantee, a free next service, no issues, and suits me in every other way. Any change would be a backward step for me at the moment so I really wanted to keep this car. I even thought of a cheap van, just for the bikes, but have no space to keep this, and then there’s additional cost for tax/Insurance etc.
Alternative carrying methods were checked and rechecked, and none fit the bill like the Towbar platform carriers, and there are at least 3 which could have done, but the folding Thule will fit in the boot of my small car, where, even with the front wheel off, the Cube bike wouldn’t fit!
A costLy end maybe, but with the car likely to do me for a good few years, a happy wife who won’t change away from her ebike, and some wonderful longish rides 30 or so miles away, our future has been enhanced by this purchase.
As someone who once managed to persuade my partner to cycle a tandem from Sussex to Portsmouth, endure a ferry to Guernsey, sleep in a tent, ride in the rain, and try some hills to see the seashell church, I think we still have some fun, healthy and enjoyable rides together from now on.... we’re doing a local charity ride in May, over the downs for 30k, and have others planned, so overall, it’s a great purchase for us.
SnG
Excellent, enjoy. :thumbsup:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
SnG

Proper job.

You probably know this already, but you should mount the heaviest bike - the ebike - inboard, nearest the towbar.

It may even say that in the rack instructions.

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
Pale rider, you and I maybe twins! I had this consideration, but haven’t seen any guidance so far on whether this is so, but I did notice a Thule video which loaded the ebike outboard! I’m certain it was just a product introduction video, and it struck me immediately that the heavy load should be closer to the towbar mount!
I’ll check through the guidance when I have the Carrier tomorrow just to be sure and let you know if this is mentioned.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Pale rider, you and I maybe twins! I had this consideration, but haven’t seen any guidance so far on whether this is so, but I did notice a Thule video which loaded the ebike outboard! I’m certain it was just a product introduction video, and it struck me immediately that the heavy load should be closer to the towbar mount!
I’ll check through the guidance when I have the Carrier tomorrow just to be sure and let you know if this is mentioned.

I got that tip from my (non twin) brother, who, like you are going to, carries his wife's ebike and his pushbike.

Apart from the common sense angle, if I recall he said the weight was less noticeable that way when driving the car.

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
All fitted, and used today for the first time, just 10 miles away, but all appeared to be be steady and safe.
It enabled us to do a 30 mile ride along the coast to Roedean, near Brighton marina for a sausage stop. The return journey was tough for me as the headwind was unabated!

I bonked a little, and had to walk a couple of hundred metres, but the ebike enabled my OH to enjoy the whole day, and complete this distance, including a short steep ramp from under cliff to the top (which I managed without assistance too).

Our 1st ride this year, so some sitbone effects, which I haven’t had for many years!

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Looks like the job is working out well in all respects.

Your situation sounds similar to my brother's.

His wife weighs about as much as my left leg, has always been fit - she represented the RAF at distance running - but as she approaches 60 she's less inclined to struggle on a push bike.

Having the ebike means the pair of them can enjoy 30 to 50 mile rides together.

The only complaint I hear is my brother is a bit mean with the time he allows her for cafe stops.

Top Bottom