Carrying a bike in a small car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Just a thought about carrying loose things in a car, think what will happen to them in the case of an accident. By this I mean how quickly they may have your head off, not nice but it can happen and has. After many years in the motor trade I have seen many a sad picture created by loose objects which have become missiles.

D

Deleted member 1258

Picture taken at Rutland Station after a Forum Ride, my fixed in the back of my KA, I've used a blanket to protect the car interior, the front wheel is behind the front passenger seat.

Image0110.jpg

Kies

Just a thought about carrying loose things in a car, think what will happen to them in the case of an accident. By this I mean how quickly they may have your head off, not nice but it can happen and has. After many years in the motor trade I have seen many a sad picture created by loose objects which have become missiles.

Agreed: always wrap/use the seatbelts to tie down bikes/boxes/luggage in the cabin of the car

robjh

Legendary Member
I've got a Peugeot 107, which is exactly the same as the Aygo bar the emblem on the front, and I can get my road bike in there no problem with just the front wheel removed. My touring bike is more of a struggle though due to its longer frame, and I have to push the passenger seat down to make enough room.

J1780

Its a hatch back so that makes life easier for a start. I've got a 3 door Corsa and get my road bike in there without removing wheel(s). I put down the back seat and move the passenger seat forward a bit and it fits easily. Actually its easier to put the bike in the Corsa than my wifes Passat for which the front wheel has to come off.

Berties

Fast and careful!
My neighbour has a fiat 500 and has a little moulded plastic rear bike carrier which he uses for traveling to triathlons,looks smart and is practical

MisterStan

Label Required
I managed to get my roadie in the back of our mini the other day, with my daughter in her car seat on one side, plus me and the wife in the front (she showed up at just the right moment when I got a visit a mile from home!) both wheels off and a bit of jiggling around. To be fair, it is much simpler to use a bike carrier.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I can get a 24 inch framed bike into the back of a Nissan Micra, just take the wheels off as a previous poster said. I also put a piece of cardboard down so the chain doesn't leave dirty marks.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We've had two adults + bikes and 2 kids + bikes inside our Passat estate. Easy-peasy.

Mile195

Veteran
After the London to Brighton, we managed to get my bike, my mates bike, and two of us plus my mother into her Ford Fiesta so she could drive us back. Simply took the wheels off, plus my saddle. Parcel shelf laid on the top.

That said, I once got 6 people into a 1983 mini when I was 17, and once carried a full length electronic keyboard on a step-through moped, so I'm generally quite determined where carrying luggage is concerned...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes, but then you had to put a paper bag on your head so that nobody saw that you were driving a Meriva ;)
lol !
TBH its the wifes car , i do not have my own and only borrow it or drive the family if we are going far as she will not drive anywhere she does not know.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I have a Skoda Citigo, so similar to the Aygo. Rear seats down, move front passenger seat forward a bit, wheels off the bike. Handlebars sit down behind the front seat, plenty of room for the rest of the frame. Cover with old towels, pop wheels on top.

If I'm going away overnight, a large sports bag will fit under the bike at the back with room to spare.

It's always possible to fit a couple of bikes in the back of a 5 seat car. At worst you put some in the boot and some on the back seat. A C1 / 107 / Aygo is no problem. This is much much better than having the bike on the roof or boot, displayed like a badge of bikemanship and ready to get damaged or stolen.

Agreed, whilst on holiday last year near Royan (France), I watched with horror (well amusement actually) as a car went to park in the towns main car park. There was a height restriction barrier, and he had obviously forgotten about the 2 very expensive looking road bikes on the roofrack. Cue crunch and the wife going ballistic at his husband. A full out row in front of loads of people. I saw one of the bike very bent on the floor was a LOOK road bike with full Ultegra groupset. Thought about making him an offer:whistle:, but swiftly walked away.

Top Bottom