Carrying a bike in a small car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toby123

Hi there,
I have a small car, a Toyota Aygo, which is in fact my first car. I had to buy a small one to keep my costs down but would love to be able to drive to cycling events and take it on holiday etc. However, I don't know how I could carry it safely/securely. Does anyone know from experience what would be the best way?
Cheers.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
take one or both wheels off, and shove it in the boot.

Managed to get a lge framed defy 4 into a c1 - both wheels off and put in boot, frame lodges behind front seats and held with rear seat belts. Make sure you cover seats and protect mechs.

OP
OP
T

toby123

Okey dokey. Mine is a 3-door car by the way, should have mentioned. oldfatfool, if you read this, how do you protect the fragile bits?

Sca1ey

Yep, I regularly put my bikes into the back of my Aygo with the wheels off. As above, put an old sheet in the back to stop oil and muck getting everywhere.

I took my daughter to Paris many moons ago in a Ford Ka with the rear seats folded and 2 moutain bikes plus luggage for a long weekend in the boot.

Ford Kas are TINY, TINY, TINY. But they still have room for two people, two MTBs, a pump and tools and two small sets of luggage.

Both wheels off, seat posts out and then stack flat to cause minimal contact between the mechs and anything else. Wheels on top, lying flat.

If you're precious about your car's interior or the paint finish on the bikes, you might want some old blankets.

I care about neither, so it was easier.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Flip the seats own, pop the wheels off. Jobs a good en. Small hatches can carry quite a lot with the seats down, far more than my large saloon can.

Okey dokey. Mine is a 3-door car by the way, should have mentioned. oldfatfool, if you read this, how do you protect the fragile bits?

Ah swmbo's c1 is a 5 door so much easier. With the mechs away from the seat I wedged the bike with the pedals on the rear plastic floor trim and then looped set belt around seat post and other round handle bars.

OP
OP
T

toby123

Ah swmbo's c1 is a 5 door so much easier. With the mechs away from the seat I wedged the bike with the pedals on the rear plastic floor trim and then looped set belt around seat post and other round handle bars.

OK, I think I see what you mean. I'll give it a go.

edindave

Über Member
I get my road bike inside the BMW Z3. Next time I'm transporting it I'll take a pic and post it.
Obviously it means I can't take a passenger, but it's possible. And if that's possible then surely any car is possible!

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's always possible to fit a couple of bikes in the back of a 5 seat car. At worst you put some in the boot and some on the back seat. A C1 / 107 / Aygo is no problem. This is much much better than having the bike on the roof or boot, displayed like a badge of bikemanship and ready to get damaged or stolen.

Top Bottom