Carrying bikes on car...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huwsparky

Über Member
Hi guys/gals.

Looking to go and do a few routes further afield and will need to mount bike onto the car.

Don't really have any idea about how these systems work and could do with some advice on what I need.

Firstly the car is an old Audi A4 estate which I have roof bars for currently. I will also need to carry up to 3 bikes.

I see some carry bikes on the boot and others on the roof, which is best?

Any advice, recommendations of what you guys are using would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

screenman

Legendary Member
I must say that a towball mounted rack is on the shopping list.

Mobytek

Roof mounted is good as it gets them out of the way - BUT massive increase in drag, and there will be a point of max roof loading. Only specific roof bars will fit so could be a cost thing to consider - one strip per bike = 3 racks @£100 ish.

On the boot - out of the way, most bieks are not much wider than a car so not much of a problem. Many more types and styles available, cheaper by far. Remember loading weight oin the boot door as it is not re-inforced over a certain weight, - YOU WILL NEED A TRAILER BOARD with lights and reg plate.

towbar mounted - if you have a toe bar they are fixed directly to the chassis so no weight on pannels, doors etc. Can cost a bit more but still a cheaper option. Most have a fold down option thus you fold them forward 30 degrees or so, so you can open the boot. same as boot mount re trailer board and reg plate.

Other option if you have a towbar - small trailer, put a bike rack on the top, all your gear in it and you're sorted. (still need board and lights.)

I;ve use both a roof rack on volvo S40. towball on Defender and trailer so choice is yours.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Four options (that I can think of) in decreasing order of cost.
If you already have a towbar then as @screenman says, this is the best. It's more expensive and more faff - what with electrics and number plate etc. That's option 1. I decided that getting a towbar installed was too expensive, but my mate has one, and it's really good.
Option 2 is a roof mounted racka. I have a Thule roof carrier. Also need to buy roof bars to carry it unless you already have them. I was pretty nervous at first but I've now done a couple of London-Yorkshire and London-Coventry journeys with bikes on the roof no probs. (Plus Eurotunnel, Ferries and French m-ways) I happily recommend this option.
Option 3 is a clam thing that cling on to the back door of estates. Some people use them quite happily but I didn't like the look of them.
Option 4 is take the wheels off and put them in the back. I've done this too but bikes are pretty unweildy

compo

Veteran
I had a roof mounted rack and a bike on it until I forgot all about it and went under the low bridge at Needham Market. Then I had a bent bike and a bent roof rack.

4275786339.jpg

Last edited:

Mobytek

Option 5 Roof, boot, side, bottom, indoors, outdoors, fits all vehicles, and non specific.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CNG5xv_FxsICFSfLtAodzREA8Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Thanks for all the help on this guys, it's much appreciated. Plenty there for me to consider but at the moment I'm edging with the idea of sticking them on the roof out of the way. Seeing that I don't have a tow hitch and was quoted well over £300 to get one fitted about 3 years ago I don't think it's economical to go down that route especially as it'll only be used a couple of times a year.

Taken the bike in the boot before and it was fine as it was only me traveling but with the need to take the family at the same time it's not really going to work out.

Top Bottom