Carrying spare light batteries on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm still amazed that the racing community hasn't demanded lights and even pumps that you discretely shove up your ****
7babd8e4-3901-45c4-b3b1-a2f800a80461_800x800.jpg

OP
OP
D

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Do I take it you are from the minimalist brigade Dave?

I just shove them in a pannier.

I won't forget lights/batteries - take them on pretty much all rides in case the wandering bug hits me/I get waylaid.

I tend towards either extreme - either a pannier with tools, tubes, food and everything but the kitchen sink or, if I'm not straying beyond pushing distance (to the pub, for example), nothing at all except a lock.

It's the latter scenario I'm concerned about.

Dynamos have advanced with the rest of modern technology. Dynohubs are the way go for everyday riding, you cant detect if they are on or off, they don't slip in poor conditions. Mine has been pumping out power for 9 years without complaint.
The lights they power are of course a squilion times better than in 1970s. Like battery lights they use super bright LEDs but with reflector patterns specially designed for cycling.
The lights stay on the bike, you dont need to manage charging and you never have to worry about running out of power.
I run the back light off the dynamo as well.
You do need to carry small backup torch for dark night repairs.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I only use rechargeable lights now, charge them every day at work. Saves monkeying around trying to guess when they will die, not replacing them when they're about to die because someone has nicked the batteries you bought yesterday, and constantly checking behind you in case they had died. If I forget to charge them I've been known to improvise with the torch function on my phone. :okay:

I would like to go for the dynamo option but it seems like it would be a faff to retrofit.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I only use rechargeable lights now, charge them every day at work. Saves monkeying around trying to guess when they will die, not replacing them when they're about to die because someone has nicked the batteries you bought yesterday, and constantly checking behind you in case they had died.
You do realise that rechargeable batteries eventually stop holding charge and they're more likely to suddenly lose power in the cold - so keep checking behind you. Mount them on the seat stay nearest the centre line IMO.

I would like to go for the dynamo option but it seems like it would be a faff to retrofit.
It's not so bad. If you can change a wheel and connect a set of old-style hi-fi speakers (with the speaker wire clamps), then that's about the required level: install dynamo wheel, connect wires from axle plug to front light and optionally a handlebar switch (enables you to flash the lights as well as turn them on/off without touching the front light), connect wires from front light to rear light (leave enough slack so they don't pull out if you turn the bars to extremes - coil it round a screwdriver for a cool phoneline effect), secure wires to cable outers or frame, ride and enjoy.

Retrofitting a dynamo hub is not too hard but has to be done right.
You need a whole front wheel with a dynamo hub. Shimano make wheels and hubs. Other brands supply hubs to bd built up.
Lights: Busch and Muller are the leading company, easy plugs fittings and strong mounts.
The front lamp normally fits to the fork crown bolt. The optional rear lamp is best fitted to the bracket at the rear of some luggage racks but can be mounted to the rear mudguard.
Wiring is with double wires supplied, eliminating earthing issues with the frame. Shimano use a simple plug to their hub.
Routing the wires is the tricky part. I will post pics of mine...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Shimano use a simple plug to their hub.
Routing the wires is the tricky part. I will post pics of mine...
Sturmey Archer use a similar plug and I suspect most will. Routing the wires seemed straightforward enough: up the outside of the front fork to the front light and switch; along the underside of the top tube (tied to rear brake cable outer if it exists, taped otherwise), top of seat stay and rack to the rear light. What did I do wrong? :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yes, I carry spare batteries. I normally carry 6 spare AAs and 2 spare AAAs. All rechargeable. I keep them in a sandwich bag inside my handlebar bag.

But I think you're referring to secret emergency AAs taped under the saddle or hanging down on a piece of string inside the seat tube or something, or attached to the inside of handlebar plugs. No, I don't do that.

Sturmey Archer use a similar plug and I suspect most will. Routing the wires seemed straightforward enough: up the outside of the front fork to the front light and switch; along the underside of the top tube (tied to rear brake cable outer if it exists, taped otherwise), top of seat stay and rack to the rear light. What did I do wrong? :laugh:

The tricky part for someone who has never done it before is in the areas exposed to stress and damage, the fork crown steering, the seat clustre area and along the rear rack. I picked up some good ideas from the book Touring Bikes by Tony Oliver.
On my touring bike i have single wire to a rear bottle dynamo and had wiring and connection problems which needed 3 hands to resolve.

Top Bottom