Carrying spare light batteries on the bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Having spent my formative years in the dynamo/pea bulb era, I think LED lights are the best thing since sliced bread.

But I've been caught out a couple of times as you don't get much warning when the AAs are about to give out.

If I remember to, I take a couple of spares on night rides (same size fits both front and rear) but I sometimes forget, so I've been thinking about sticking them somewhere on the bike so that they will always be available should I need them.

Does anyone else do this, and if so, where do you put them ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Put them inside the seat post wrapped in cloth. Run two lights each end, then you've got redundancy of both batteries and the light itself.

I have two rear lights. One on steady beam and one flashing. The steady beam uses more juice so when I either see it starting to dim or if I think it's time to put new batteries in I then put the used batteries into the flashing light to use up the remaining power. This way I don't get caught short and end with no light at all.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I keep spare batteries in a bag in the tool bag, along with a AA-to-USB adapter in case whoever's running low only accepts USB power and I've already used my power pack (the AA-to-USB is horrendously inefficient, so the power pack is first choice). My most-used bike has a dynamo driving LED lights :smile:

Edited to add: actually, the AA-to-USB can double as a puny front light and I carry a Topeak RedLite II lithium-button rear light... so even if someone has gone out without lights and it gets dark, I may be able to fix it!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Do I take it you are from the minimalist brigade Dave?

I just shove them in a pannier.

I won't forget lights/batteries - take them on pretty much all rides in case the wandering bug hits me/I get waylaid.

I don't actually carry spare batteries but I've got a set of these in the saddle bag, just in case. Definitely "be seen" only lights, but better than nothing:
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIBKLI/bookman-light-set

Worth under two quid of anyone's money. :okay:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Worth under two quid of anyone's money. :okay:
Delivery charges may apply... and cost more than the lights :laugh:

Am afraid I'm not a fan of those sorts of things Dave.

Much prefer this as a compact be-seen light.

http://www.cateye.com/intl/products/detail/TL-LD630-R/

Front and rear available.

Compact enough. Single AA battery.

Front sits nicely in front of the bars.

Like much bike stuff these days I fear its manufacturers will think "bugger, it's too good and simple", shoot the designer (shades of The Man in the White Suit) and discontinue it - for a quick google found it not shown at some major retailers - but did show an "improved" light that looks rather similar but with a built in battery. Clearly they think me too stupid to put my own industry standard rechargeable batteries in.

Delivery charges may apply... and cost more than the lights :laugh:
and if Planet X ever sold them for that "original" price call me a yorkshireman.
And you'll spend way way more than the purchase price on replacement batteries
Or just chuck them into landfill.

Sorry Dave - seem to remember I've liked your posts but you've innocently strayed onto one of my pet peeves on contemporary cycling :smile:

Top Bottom