Carrying stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lochen

I've just ordered a top bar bag for keys, phone, wallet and bits.

Would any of you put a rack on it?

Which one if you would?

Recommendations gratefully received.

Ta

vickster

Legendary Member
Topeak super tourist, slide on trunk bag with fold out panniers

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bik...cks/topeak-super-tourist-dx-disc-pannier-rack
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-baskets-panniers/topeak-mtx-trunkbag-exp

Rather depends where, how far and what doing with bike though

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lochen

I use my apidura top tube bag for short rides but for my commuting bike, I have a skewer rack with a trunk bag like the one @vickster showed albeit mine is a Trek one.

It's handy for moving clothes, backup lights, chargers and lunch around.

vickster

Legendary Member
I wouldn't go for a beam rack. The load bear is quite low and they can swing. If you can fit a proper rack do. Otherwise get something like a carradice with bracket

T675Rich

I was looking at that topeak bag and rack as I wanted something that clips on and off the bike without having to mess around with straps etc. I was also looking at some panniers but I would probably only have enough stuff for one and one pannier seems like a bad idea.

vickster

Legendary Member
I was looking at that topeak bag and rack as I wanted something that clips on and off the bike without having to mess around with straps etc. I was also looking at some panniers but I would probably only have enough stuff for one and one pannier seems like a bad idea.
Why is one pannier a bad idea? I have the Topeak with the fold down panniers (still) and often only have one side down for commuting unless I’m carrying shopping

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was also looking at some panniers but I would probably only have enough stuff for one and one pannier seems like a bad idea.
I thought the same thing until I tried it. With a moderate weight in one pannier I didn't really notice it was there (except for going uphill).

I'm not sure that I would want a heavy load on just one side of the bike though. If I were going to carry more then I'd distribute the load over 2 panniers.

vickster

Legendary Member
I thought the same thing until I tried it. With a moderate weight in one pannier I didn't really notice it was there (except for going uphill).

I'm not sure that I would want a heavy load on one just side of the bike though. If I were going to carry more then I'd distribute the load over 2 panniers.
I just rode about 5 (flat) miles on rubbish road surfaces with a laptop, a few clothes and 2 cans of pale ale in one side. All my other stuff including smallish D lock in the trunk bag part

ColinJ

I just rode about 5 (flat) miles on rubbish road surfaces with a laptop, a few clothes and 2 cans of pale ale in one side. All my other stuff including smallish D lock in the trunk bag part
Yes, that's what I would call 'moderate'. I tried it with 12 kgs of shopping on one side and it felt like the bike wanted to topple over! :eek:

ColinJ

Yes, it was a bit much... 2 x 2 litres of sparkling water, 2 x 1 litre of OJ, 4 tins of baked beans, bag of spuds etc. I just go to the shops more often now and buy less in one go.

Actually, you've got me thinking that that might have been BOTH panniers ... It seems a lot to get in just one!

Anyway, I did put too much in on just one side once and didn't like it, but moderate loads are fine.

T675Rich

Why is one pannier a bad idea? I have the Topeak with the fold down panniers (still) and often only have one side down for commuting unless I’m carrying shopping

I was told many a time to make sure my motorbike panniers weighed the same so they wouldn't unbalance the bike, i assumed an unbalanced load on a cycle would be even worse. I guess that I was wrong.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well it's probably better if carrying big loads but it's perfectly feasible without. Maybe having the trunk part helps, no idea. If concerned, just use both sides

Top Bottom