Cars and bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
After 10 years of riding motorbikes going back to driving a car was so boring.
Now our car is a big shopping trolley, taxi for family members or used for picking up cycle related parcels from work.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well, that depends.

I own a 4x4 in Africa. It has a tent on the roof, and is kitted out with everything I need for living in the bush independently for weeks at a time. It is currently in the Kafue National Park in Zambia, and I'd challenge anyone to say that driving around there was boring. Context, as always, is everything.

I'm going to Lusaka next Thursday and will be visiting a customer on Kafue Road. Are you there or in the UK?

We used to own an ex-MOD Land Rover 90, which was brilliant fun and amazing off road. I sometimes used to go to pay and drive days in local quarries and family green-laning days; I loved driving it. Have also done a sports car experience on an airfield, which I enjoyed enormously and want to try again, I drove a Ferrari 360, which was brilliant fun. I enjoy driving almost as much as cycling. Used to enjoy motorcycling very much as well.... those were the days!

I used to love driving, would think nothing of driving for 6 hours and loving it.
Over the past 5 years, I have begun to enjoy not driving, I still have a car, as family live too far away to cycle and I had the car way before I became a commuter, but I enjoy it less and less, to the point where I judge every car journey buy how much it has cost me in petrol. So when ever I get back I always mention that just wasted so much in petrol ... !
I switched to online shopping a few months a go because I could not be bothered to get the car out of the garage, drive to Waitrose, park up and then drive back.
Or maybe I am just a tight arsed Yorkshire man!

OP
OP
double_dd

double_dd

Über Member
Haha that's being economical ;)

I don't commute in my car as I couldn't afford the petrol and parking. But when I did commute in the car I hated it. Too many people who don't know how to drive!

Now the car is weekends only and for long drives when it's sunny.

I'm hoping to move closer to the city centre so I can commute on the bike.

MarkF

Guru
I don't enjoy driving at all, maybe I would if I had a Lamborghini Aventador, but I don't, I have a 98 Jeep. My first choice is the cycle, second the scooter/motorbike, third, the train. I
have to need to use the Jeep to use it.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I have a car but the last time I came to use it 2 weeks ago, the battery was flat. Tried to charge it, but its wasn't taking charge. So new battery. I really should get rid of it but it is not worth any thing. GF has a nice car so we generally use that (she is not a cyclist).
Like others have said, I don't enjoy driving now.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Yup I've always been a car nut. I used to be into Vauxhalls for some reason, probably because my first car was a mk2 Cavalier, my second car was a mk3 Cavalier...eventually ended up with a Cavalier GSI, then I converted my girlfriends Corsa to a 2.0 which was a pocket rocket! After a brief time of mundane Vectra ownership I ended up in a Astra Coupe Turbo...not had a Vauxhall since (apart from one I bought to flip).

The girlfriend turned into the wife along the way and we decided to chop the Coupe in for a new Mini Cooper S. That went once the baby came along. I have since treated myself to a 1988 BMW 325i which is just retro awesomeness. Its currently SORN and missing a steering rack (which I have temporarily borrowed for the wifes 320d) but it'll be up and running for the summer.

I'm actually finding it hard to split my time between car stuff and bike stuff at the moment...what with the steel roady I've not long had and the wifes daily hack that needs pretty much everything refreshing!

F70100

Who, me ?
Bicycles, motorbikes, cars, karts, boats, planes. Like 'em all.

One day for my birthday I might:

Drive an open top sports car to the airfield,
Potter round for an hour in a Piper Cub,
Have a B road blast on the motorbike to,
Favourite kart circuit Buckmore Park for a 30 minute race stint,
Cycle for an hour to the marina,
Cast off in a Hallberg Rassy 36 for a gentle sail to a quiet anchorage for dinner and overnight stay,

And do it all in reverse the next day to get home. And then I woke up :smile:

Still have a hankering to do an HGV licence. I did drive a train once when I worked underground. Very easy to steer.....

Top Bottom