Car's door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
you need to be 2 or 3 feet further out. Cycling in the "door zone" will only end one way. Ignore any cycle lane lines - you need to be safe

mustang1

Guru
Wow, cycling that fast so close to the cars? Yeah, like the others said, go out into road more. Screw anyone else getting annoyed about holding you up.

SOMETIMES I cycle as close to the cars as you did, but I slow waaaaay down.

Not saying its your fault, clearly it's the guy getting out of the car. We're just giving you this advice so you dont hurt yourself. Just a fact of city riding.

Sim2003

Same as the above , get out the zone or slow it right down. I turn my attention to the mirrors for possible eye contact plus movement in the drivers side of the car.

Ohhhh you have those reflectors on your spokes?? I have me pack coming tomorrow :smile:

pawl

Legendary Member
Wow, cycling that fast so close to the cars? Yeah, like the others said, go out into road more. Screw anyone else getting annoyed about holding you up.

Not saying its your fault, clearly it's the guy getting out of the car. We're just giving you this advice so you dont hurt yourself. Just a fact of city riding.
Stay out of the door zone.

Good tip I read in Motor Cycle Road Craft. Approaching a parked car watch the action of the driver,if he leans to his left he is probably not leaning over to kiss his passenger, he is more likely about to open his door.

Last edited by a moderator:

buggi

Bird Saviour
600 people per year are killed or seriously injured by people opening car doors on to them. Ride away from the door zone, don't worry about inconveniencing drivers, they are not supposed to be in the door zone either

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
25 years on, I can still hear my driving instructor saying to allow "a door's width plus a little bit" when passing parked cars. I still do.

Your attention may have been taken by the car which pulled out in front of you, pulling a bit nearer to the left because he may have blocked the road.

vickster

Legendary Member
+1, a driver wouldn't drive there, so don't cycle there, following cars shouldn't expect you to do so

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What is your solution about parked cars?
Avoid them. :o)

How do you avoid this situation?
I ride further out: a door and a bit more. Also, what's with the sound and light show? Get good, legal, bright, steady lights and a bell, or a horn if you feel a bell's not loud enough.

I think for now I will travel slower next to them)))
I think that's a bad idea - it makes you slower passing each door and gives it more time to end badly. Please ride further out.

Schneil

Veteran
Riding a bit further out might have made you more visible to the other driver that opened a door in your path, also the car that pulled out in front of you.

Top Bottom