Car's door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
Sure thing. The driver was a massive bell-end. However my bell-end detection would have warned me that the the car was indiciating and I'd slow as it was quite clear the driver was going to be a bell-end and turn across you.

yeah there seemed to be a problem between the Mk1 eyeball and the brain there. in both road users.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What a crap piece of driving.

My spidey senses would also have been tingling and would have let him stay in front to do wtf he was going to do.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What do you mean, by proper bell? Can't say that I'm 100% like the one that I have, but it's pretty loud. Which one would you recommend?
It sounds like you've got some sort of bird tweeting, rather than anything I'd recognise as a bicycle. I use a chrome crown bell, but I'm riding mostly on quiet roads and cycle tracks and it looks like you're on busy urban streets busy with incompetent motorists, so I'd probably go for a parp horn https://www.wilcodirect.co.uk/product/accessories/bugle-bumper-horn or an Airzound in that situation.

My spidey senses would also have been tingling and would have let him stay in front to do wtf he was going to do.
Yes, rubbish driving. I might try to accelerate to get ahead of him, but probably not in wet weather. I'd also report that cycle lane on www.fixMyStreet.com for being substandard width and vanishing across junctions - it looks worse than nothing.

Re: Car doors. As mentioned above, ride much further out from the doorzone if you are doing any sort of speed. In that case cars were parked all over the bus lane so slot into a gap with the rest of the traffic in the other lane and problem solved. If you must ride close to car doors then make sure it is at a speed you can stop at almost immediately (i.e. dead slow) and be alert. Same for filtering between lanes of traffic, see plenty of cyclists going far too fast between slow moving traffic and they would have no chance if a passenger opened a door or a car decided to change lane abruptly without looking/indicating.

Re: Other video. Driver was a muppet but you could see it coming for several seconds and at least he indicated. No point in putting yourself in a dangerous position if you can avoid it. Simply stop pedalling for a second, shoulder check, pull across the road and accelerate past them on the right side before they even make the turn. Usually makes them realise what they've done. Cycling in a more assertive position might have put him/her off from the inital turn across your path but no guarantees and you should probably seen it as a sign that the driver is inattentive/impatient and likely to do something stupid again.

Col5632

Guru
In your second video I would have hung back and waited to see what they were going to do especially seeing as they already almost took you out

OP
OP
I

Igor on a bike

One more time, thanks everyone for all your comments and suggestions. Some of them were really priceless.
Reading right now guide about safe cycling. Everything looks like common sense, but from your comments about 'door zone' is something new for me, so hope I will pic up some more tips.

AndyRM

XOXO
Wow. A parallel pull-out AND a left-hook. What a nobber!

A bare knuckle fight challenge would have made the hat trick!

Top Bottom