Car's door

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LocalLad

The video posted earlier was very interesting.I've been avoiding car doors, but having watched the video, I reckon I need to move further out still

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I turn my attention to the mirrors for possible eye contact plus movement in the drivers side of the car.
I've tried this many times, and found it almost impossible to determine if the seat is occupied. There is only a second or two to check before passing each car, and the seat and headrest usually block out the view of anyone sitting in the driving seat.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
+1, a driver wouldn't drive there, so don't cycle there, following cars shouldn't expect you to do so
I don't care when I'm in my car. I'll take their door right off, and then bill their insurance company for it. I'll happily drive close to parked cars, much closer than I'd ever cycle. Although having said that, it hardly ever happens, it's the usual explanation, that some drivers look but only see other cars, they don't even register cyclists or motorcyclists.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't care when I'm in my car. I'll take their door right off, and then bill their insurance company for it. I'll happily drive close to parked cars, much closer than I'd ever cycle. Although having said that, it hardly ever happens, it's the usual explanation, that some drivers look but only see other cars, they don't even register cyclists or motorcyclists.
Well each to their own, but frankly I'd rather leave a big gap and not have the hassle of a claim which even if not my fault will impact my premiums. Seems an odd attitude particularly if someone may get hurt even if they are at fault, I don't even want to feel partially responsible for hurting them. Similar to as much as I'm not a fan of RLJers I'm not just going to mow one down!

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I don't care when I'm in my car. I'll take their door right off, and then bill their insurance company for it. I'll happily drive close to parked cars, much closer than I'd ever cycle.
It's that feeling of invulnerability which leads some motorists to attempt risky manoeuvres around cyclists.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Hi all,
Thanks for comments and for safety door video. Especially comment about my speed. I probably rethink it as well.

speed's fine if you're out of the door zone -which is the main thing.

Creeping past is OK-ish if you have to be in the door zone - well, we can't be expected to wait after all

winjim

Smash the cistern
I think in that clip you showed us, the bus lane is so full of parked cars as to be totally unusable. Just forget about even trying to ride in it. Especially at the speed you're going, you'd be more than justified in riding straight down the middle of the main lane (primary position).

OP
OP
I

Igor on a bike

Also, what's with the sound and light show? Get good, legal, bright, steady lights and a bell, or a horn if you feel a bell's not loud enough.

What do you mean, by proper bell? Can't say that I'm 100% like the one that I have, but it's pretty loud. Which one would you recommend?

Sure thing. The driver was a massive bell-end. However my bell-end detection would have warned me that the the car was indiciating and I'd slow as it was quite clear the driver was going to be a bell-end and turn across you.

vickster

Legendary Member
That was a pretty awful piece of driving to say the least! Very calm reaction, I would have used at least one expletive :blush:

Top Bottom