Cars get owned in protected bus lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
StuartG said:
I am saddened that creating a dangerous situation is regarded as funny. It is pretty evident that not only the occupants of the car were horrified at what might have happened to the baby in the rear. Don't just blame the driver, people who put these things in know what will happen as it is obvious it will encourage this behaviour time and time again and the innocent will suffer.

As for the example at RTTL the applause when it is obvious the dummy/driver would have been killed but the post still works is positively sickening!

Camera/PCN is surely a safer way to enforce car free zones?

With respect, bollocks.

The drivers tried to jump through when they shouldn't, and were driving in a dangerous and illegal manner. I wouldn't find it funny if they had been hurt, but as it is they damaged their car and their pride, and will hopefully not try that again.

(edited to add quotes, so you knew who I was responding to)

These bollards are really used as a last resort to deter drivers - but people will try to beat them - thankfully although there seems to be plenty of footage - quite rarely so they must be effective to anyone with a brain and eyes.

We have one set around here on a very quiet road - often broken for weeks - which tends to lull one into a sense of false security when appraching them - it is extremly unerving to get very close to them on the bike and they start to rise

StuartG

slower but further
BenM said:
Camera enforcement is a laugh - all that would happen is that you would get so many people ignoring the 'threat' that the road would be as congested as usual.
I can't speak for Manchester or Weymouth but cameras/PCN are pretty effective in London's bus lanes. Cars ain't the problem - its the (legal) taxis.

Again, sorry you find this amusing.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Stuart, I'm having trouble following your argument.

No-one is laughing at someone being actually hurt or injured; we find it amusing that through their own stupidity and dangerous driving, they have made themselves look like an idiot and damaged their cars.

StuartG

slower but further
benb said:
Stuart, I'm having trouble following your argument.

No-one is laughing at someone being actually hurt or injured; we find it amusing that through their own stupidity and dangerous driving, they have made themselves look like an idiot and damaged their cars.
If that was all I would be cheering too!

But we are looking at deliberately creating dangerous situations that may maim or kill people innocent or not. We saw for real on screen with the baby. As a previous poster suggested the RTTL cheering was in congratulation of the post being able to kill AND KEEP ON WORKING. Surely the design aim should be that when hit by a 30 mph fully laden lorry the best outcome is for the post to detach to mitigate the incident. Capital punishment for driving in a restricted area is just a way too heavy IMHO.

The point is to stop the abuse. Cameras/PCN can do it by damaging the wallet and licence. But if you are into ritual humiliation and retribution I guess I can't argue ...

The problem here was the speed at which the vehicle hit the bollard. These bollards generally rise and sink back again when they come in contact. THis is exactly what happens with the black people carrier.

Drive at it at speed and what do you really expect?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Norm said:
I quite liked this example. As it is fairly certain that no-one would be in the car, is it ok to laugh at that one? :blush:

Not sure about that - it's on a tow bar, not a rope, but you'd need someone to steer, since it's not up on a frame?

buggi

Bird Saviour
StuartG said:
I am saddened that creating a dangerous situation is regarded as funny. It is pretty evident that not only the occupants of the car were horrified at what might have happened to the baby in the rear. Don't just blame the driver, people who put these things in know what will happen as it is obvious it will encourage this behaviour time and time again and the innocent will suffer.

As for the example at RTTL the applause when it is obvious the dummy/driver would have been killed but the post still works is positively sickening!

Camera/PCN is surely a safer way to enforce car free zones?

I agree, there has to be occasions where a driver, either through ignorance or just inexperience could follow a bus through, the view obscured by the bus and be hurt, especially if they are unfamiliar with an area... i have never seen these bollards in real life and might not realise the implications, or how quickly they rise. They are a stupid idea. In the dutch one... the guy stops and then obviously gets confused as to whether he can go or not, and then decides to go and then gets caught on it.

Also, as said, what if a motorbike was to follow the bus not realising the bollard was going to come up. they seem to come up pretty fast.

I'm not saying it's not funny... it is ... but it's the same kind of funny as Greedo's wedding pictures. it made me laugh at first and then i listened the angel sitting on my other shoulder.

Also... so all of the sudden the council have the right to wreck your car because you are in a bus lane??? that's not right either.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, it was a few years ago, but I certainly steered my Mini several miles back to home, on a tow rope behind an AA van. (he said he was going to change it to a bar, but after a couple of miles came back to me at a junction and said "You've done this before" (I had:blush:) and left the rope on.

How will the car steer? Unless the tow bar somehow attaches to the steering?

Norm

Not sure, Arch, as I've also been towed by the AA... again, a few years back. :blush:Towing frames that I've used have connected to the front of the car at two points, I've no personal experience of being towed on a single bar but... well, I guess any joke which needs explaining is, almost by definition, not a joke.

My post was partly to inject some humour, partly to throw up a different slant on the points which Stuart and Buggi are making, but mostly, to laugh at a BMW. Please tell me that we are still expected to do that on Cycle Chat. :blush: :biggrin:

efreeti

Cross street was open before the bomb and was a main route through town. I think they got used to the route being free of cars when they were doing the refurb and decided to limit access when they re-opened the road.

It is extremely clear there is no access through there but quite a lot of folks still go into the bollards. IIRC they had to high vis the bollards as at first some people just drove straight into them while they were up!

Manchester is much harder to traverse now it is closed off and it has caused some pretty bad snarl points on the surrounding streets.

On the other hand it is now a nice safe (albeit short) cycle route! :biggrin:

Top Bottom