Cars get owned in protected bus lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
slowmotion said:
Yeah.. right. Perhaps the traffic engineers should take a "fact finding" jaunt to see how they do that stuff in Baghdad.

Blackwater seemed to have the right idea about how to control traffic...:biggrin:

Amateurs... now your Israeli. There's traffic control: bollards, checkposts, chicanes all backed up with armoured vehicles and trigger happy killers... and no second thoughts about injuries to babies there.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Come on Hackers, no need for that!!

StuartG said:
Excellent point. I cringe every time I see that DVLA advert that revels in the the crunching up of a perfectly serviceable car because someone has not taxed or SORNed it.

Fine them, if they don't/can't pay confiscate it and resell it to the advantage of the taxpayer. But to needlessly destroy machinery in that way is plain hooliganism to me. Young lads are given ASBOs for much less destructive behaviour.

I guess some people just enjoy destruction. Still think it a bit sad ...

I agree with this. I've never understood why cars that are probably in better condition that the thing I drive around are crushed.

skrx

Rhythm Thief said:
I agree with this. I've never understood why cars that are probably in better condition that the thing I drive around are crushed.

I asked someone (police officer friend) about this, he said anything worth selling is sold. Crushed cars are either worthless, or have been tampered with (e.g. had their identity removed).

No need for what BM? Just stating a fact,perhaps they aren't as clever as you.We all know people do stupid things because we all do stupid things.At least I do.

bigtrike

I guess the best guide as to the effectiveness of the rising bollards is has someone been "caught out" twice? or is once enought to change there behavour? I know a number of peope caught twice by the same speed camera!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
bigtrike said:
I guess the best guide as to the effectiveness of the rising bollards is has someone been "caught out" twice? or is once enought to change there behavour? I know a number of peope caught twice by the same speed camera!

I'm not picking a fight. I simply have an issue with whether the offence is "punished" proportionately.

My LA asks us to put cans in one bag, and food scraps in another. I have no problem with that at all. If I make a lazy mistake, (and one that is hardly likely to endanger life), I might stick a can of beans in the wrong sack. I do not expect to be dragged out and shot, even though I may have broken some minor rule.

Before you all pile in and say that sneaking up a bus-lane is a hanging offence, perhaps you might consider the other bad stuff that looms somewhat larger....and no, I do not invade bus lanes.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It might be easy to make a mistake and put your can of beans in the wrong sack, but it takes determined effort to try to sneak in there behind a bus. Determined and intentional stupidity, despite the obvious warnings and publicity, I'd say.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
slowmotion said:
I'm not picking a fight. I simply have an issue with whether the offence is "punished" proportionately.

My LA asks us to put cans in one bag, and food scraps in another. I have no problem with that at all. If I make a lazy mistake, (and one that is hardly likely to endanger life), I might stick a can of beans in the wrong sack. I do not expect to be dragged out and shot, even though I may have broken some minor rule.

Before you all pile in and say that sneaking up a bus-lane is a hanging offence, perhaps you might consider the other bad stuff that looms somewhat larger....and no, I do not invade bus lanes.

I see your point, but you're forgetting that the bollards are not specifically designed to wreck cars, merely to stop them going down the bus route.

It's a bit like if someone reversed into a fixed bollard when reversing - you wouldn't argue that the bollard was there to punish them and deliberately damage their car.

on the road

Über Member
Just before the bollards start to come up, they have an audible warning something like "warning, bollards rising", well the ones in our city centre do anyway.

What happens if you are deaf?Pardon.

BentMikey said:
It might be easy to make a mistake and put your can of beans in the wrong sack, but it takes determined effort to try to sneak in there behind a bus. Determined and intentional stupidity, despite the obvious warnings and publicity, I'd say.

There are a lot of determined motorists out there...determined to squeeze past you so they can rush up to the next set of lights.

The same people who turn up late for a train and wonder why they miss it.....A work colleague remarked on this yesterday and must have been reading my mind because it was exactly what I was thinking....Also when they get on a train why do they behave like they are on a beach instead of doing what they normally do and rushing about everywhere totally ignoring someone wheeling a bike across the concourse.

Top Bottom