Cars get owned in protected bus lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lizban

4F said:
Are you watching the same video ? They are bollards, there is a warning that the bollards are there, there is a flashing light warning that the bollards are there.

In the first instance you can see that the driver has aknowledged this fact and decides to reverse and wait for a bus in his vain attempt at entering a restricted area.

The driver is an idiot.

We agree that the driver is an idiot

But the punishment for idiocy should be a fine / points - not a bollard through the bonnet

Lizban

BentMikey said:
It's not a sanction, or a punishment of any kind. It's just as predictable as the effects of ramming your car into a concrete wall because you think it might just get out your way.

Just because its predicatable doesn't stop it being a sanction

I don't agree with it,something seems very wrong with the setup coupled with someone watching behind a camera laughing his bawlocks off.I dont think it's the same as driving a car into a brick wall as people don't generally drive their cars into brick walls.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Some stupid people do - just like some stupid people try to damage their cars on the bollards. No one is making them take that action, they did it knowing the entirely likely and predictable consequences, hoping that they could beat the clear and very obvious system.

Stop being a moton apologist, Liz.

GrasB

Veteran
Would you consider hitting a bollard that could be folded flat if you had the correct key & made an impassable barrier for a car a punishment? The only difference between those & rising bollards is that you don't have to get out of the vehicle to lower/raise it.

What people are trying to do is beat the system & finding out that they can't, the damage isn't a punishment it's a side effect of their failure. The bollards are there to protect something, typically pedestrian space, & as such a number of people who have hit the bollards ended up with points on their licences & fines.

Lizban

BentMikey said:
Stop being a moton apologist, Liz.
They should be punished by points and a fine - not by a dangerous bollard ramming through the car.

No defense of the motorists actions here.

Why do stop with these bollards

RLJ - machine punctures your tyres
Pavement riding - umbrella through the spokes

That would all be fine - as long as thre is warning sings and lights apparently!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The bollards aren't a hazard at all - they are obvious and well signed. There's no need to drive into them, and they are there to protect from car drivers.

Lizban

GrasB said:
Would you consider hitting a bollard that could be folded flat if you had the correct key & made an impassable barrier for a car a punishment? The only difference between those & rising bollards is that you don't have to get out of the vehicle to lower/raise it.

What people are trying to do is beat the system & finding out that they can't, the damage isn't a punishment it's a side effect of their failure. The bollards are there to protect something, typically pedestrian space, & as such a number of people who have hit the bollards ended up with points on their licences & fines.

Teh problem I have is not with barriers - but dangerous barriers - firing a barrier through teh bottom of a car with enough force to lift it off its wheels is dangerous and not required.

There are effective alternatives

Lizban

BentMikey said:
The bollards aren't a hazard at all - they are obvious and well signed. There's no need to drive into them, and they are there to protect from car drivers.

100s of videos on youtube - some showing people hurt and you say they are aren't a hazard ;)

People are stupid/ causing injury for ebibg stupid isn't a solution in my view

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Lizban said:
Teh problem I have is not with barriers - but dangerous barriers - firing a barrier through teh bottom of a car with enough force to lift it off its wheels is dangerous and not required.

To be honest I think the bollards are very effective and don't think an alternative is required. Also the bollard does not get fired through the car, the bollard rises after the bus. The warning signs and lights advise motorists of this fact.

If Mr thicko car driver cannot understand this then really that is his problem.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The barriers don't cause the injury, it's the drivers doing this. You're just being a part of car culture here, and ignoring the root cause of the danger - some idiot in a tonne and a half of metal behaving like a 5 year old.

I reckon every single person driving into these barriers should also lose their driving licence for life.

Lizban

BentMikey said:
The barriers don't cause the injury, it's the drivers doing this. You're just being a part of car culture here, and ignoring the root cause of the danger - some idiot in a tonne and a half of metal behaving like a 5 year old.

I reckon every single person driving into these barriers should also lose their driving licence for life.

Don't think that we will ever agree on this BM!

(other than the fact that the drivers are idiots who deserve to be punished)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
They are at least clever enough not to try to drive into the bollards when they are up. Why do they try to chance it after a bus?

And the bollards are not being "fired" in any way. They rise slowly and steadily, a very obvious barrier.

GrasB

Veteran
Lizban said:

They are not 'fired' they rise slowly, smoothly & predictably. Also if anything that can take a car off it's wheels is dangerous when are we going to do away fold down access ramps? They'll quite easily lift a car off its wheels, I have seen one lift the back axle of a loaded LWB Transit sized van off the ground. The main difference is that people give them far more respect & don't try & chance it.

Lizban

GrasB said:
They are not 'fired' they rise slowly, smoothly & predictably. Also if anything that can take a car off it's wheels is dangerous when are we going to do away fold down access ramps? They'll quite easily lift a car off its wheels, I have seen one lift the back axle of a loaded LWB Transit sized van off the ground. The main difference is that people give them far more respect & don't try & chance it.

We are not going to agree on this nor are either of us change our views,
time to agree to disagree

Top Bottom