Cars get owned in protected bus lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bman

Guru
Can anyone find a streetview link to these barriers? I wouldnt mind to see how obvious the warning lights and signs are.

Bman

Guru
These ones? With the signs and lights? The big sign saying DO NOT TAILGATE ?

And this huge, red sign?

So you did. I must of missed that the first time.

gavintc said:
Some drivers clearly run the gap, for others they seem clueless that there is a rising bollard. The bollards demand that the driver reads the signs. Is this acceptable? Some drivers do not read English. If the attempt was to stop access, this could be achieved with a less dramatic process. I propose that the speed of the bollard rise is designed to damage. A ramp would achieve the same effect with no damage.

Some people do not attempt to break the law - they are simply clueless.

... if they are clueless enough to miss all the signs, the flashing lights an the bollards themselves - what chance does a cyclist have?

Clueless enough to be taken off the roads?

gavintc

Guru
Missed this thread for a few days. I have little sympathy for driver ineptitude. But the outcome for the mistake of running a bollard is a greater loss than running a red light or other more serious offence. I am not sure that is morally correct. It just leaves me uncomfortable.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I once saw someone try to run through a level crossing - one of those ones where the barrier comes down with big flashing red lights and a siren.

He got hit by a train and everyone in the car died.

Now how is that an appropriate punishment for driving badly?

(note: that didn't really happen, but I think you get my point)

Norm

benb said:
I once saw someone try to run through a level crossing - one of those ones where the barrier comes down with big flashing red lights and a siren.

He got hit by a train and everyone in the car died.

Now how is that an appropriate punishment for driving badly?

(note: that didn't really happen, but I think you get my point)
Indeed, a good point well made, IMO.

The death penalty is still applied in this country, for infractions such as jumping red lights, crossing the road without looking or swerving round potholes without observation. Note that all these "crimes" are punished without trial by judge and jury, the executioner being a randomly selected hapless driver.

And none if these misdemeanours carry warning signs and flashing lights to warn of the punishment which will be meted out on the culpable party.

Because the drivers choose to try and beat the system, deliberately performing such an inconsiderate actions, the damage to their cars is, IMO, the very least that they deserve.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
None of these examples are accidents, gavin. They are a direct and easily foreseable result of purposeful actions by the drivers.

What's more, there are no intended consequences with the bollards, apart from no entry that is - loads of effort, waaaay more than is fair, has been made to help drivers avoid making such stupid decisions.

gavintc

Guru
A train hitting an illegal crosser is not a guarantee. A bollard rising is a guarantee. I know we are splitting hairs, but a bollard installation is an intended outcome, planned to damage a stupid motorist. A driver running a red light, crossing a crossing etc is simply a stupid motorist who MAY suffer damage to his car. The outcome is not planned and intended by a town planner.

stowie

Legendary Member
Presumably these systems are not put into place unless there is a serious issue with private vehicles misusing the bus lanes? After all, the rising bollards, flashing signs, RF transmitters for the buses etc. are not going to be a cheap solution.

So, I can only assume that other methods had failed. I would have thought a LED sign detailing the restrictions and a camera that caught offenders and a hefty fine for misuse of the bus lane would be the first, cheapest solution.

I have little sympathy for drivers who don't bother / ignore / try to beat these types of systems.

stowie

Legendary Member
gavintc said:
A train hitting an illegal crosser is not a guarantee. A bollard rising is a guarantee. I know we are splitting hairs, but a bollard installation is an intended outcome, planned to damage a stupid motorist. A driver running a red light, crossing a crossing etc is simply a stupid motorist who MAY suffer damage to his car. The outcome is not planned and intended by a town planner.

Bollards everywhere (rising or otherwise) are intended to stop cars going into areas where they would be a danger / nuisance. Judging from the state of some of them around here, even fixed bollards are tested by idiots in cars. Surely this isn't a reason to get rid of them?

Norm

gavintc said:
A train hitting an illegal crosser is not a guarantee. A bollard rising is a guarantee. I know we are splitting hairs, but a bollard installation is an intended outcome, planned to damage a stupid motorist.
No, a bollard is installed with the intention of stopping motorists, not damaging stupid motorists.

Arch

Married to Night Train
gavintc said:
Some people do not attempt to break the law - they are simply clueless.

I don't fancy the idea of clueless people on the road, myself.

Do you expect that, say, the Germans, should write all their signs in English for my benefit if I drive there? Or would it be better for me to learn what I need, and use a few braincells while I drive?

Molecule Man

In case anyone wants more detailed information on this issue, it's discussed in a Manchester City Council document here:

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/egov_downloads/CommunitiesandNeighbourhoods_-Footpaths-_final.pdf

Seems to have resulted in a significant reduction in pedestrian deaths and injuries, at the expense of a few minor injuries caused by bollard collisions.

Any locals care to comment on how things are now? These videos are from several years ago.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the motorists involved only have themselves to blame, especially the father of the baby, look at the way he accelerates towards the rising bollard. The bollards are clearly not intended to damage cars as a punishment, they are intended to prevent access to non-authorised vehicles.

Top Bottom