Cars get owned in protected bus lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I don't know for sure, but I'd hazard retractable bollards are used as a last resort in areas where the unlawful use of bus lanes by motorists has a significant effect on pedestrian safety (i.e in areas of high pedestrian activity), but where camera enforcement is not effective enough.

I also imagine that these bollards are very effective at limiting (but not eradicating) bus lane transgressions by motorists and, most importantly, making the roads generally safer for all users and vulnerable road users in particular, save for a v few imbecilic drivers and their unfortunate passengers.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

redddraggon

Blondie
Lizban said:
OMG! How can driving a ram through a car with enough force to take it off its wheels not be dangerous!!!!

Looks like the Car is ramming the bollard to me, the bollard is definitely not ramming anything.

gavintc

Guru
Liz does have a point. These bollards are designed to punish the stupid and are a disproportionate level of punishment for the crime. Whilst I find them amusing, there is an aspect to this that is worrying. As she correctly points out, if we take this to the next step, do we have other physical damage measures for bad driving. So in sum, having considered this further, I am with Liz.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Of course that's not true, they aren't designed to damage anything. It's obvious this setup has been specifically designed to AVOID causing damage to anyone or their cars.

The damage is being caused by idiot drivers behaving like 5 y/olds, and could so easily be avoided. You really have to try hard to do any damage and have a crash like these muppets.

gavintc

Guru
OK, so you have no issue with a system that pushes a battering ram from the side of the road at all cyclists that RLJ or a car flipper on motorways for all cars that exceed 70 mph.

gavintc

Guru
Some drivers clearly run the gap, for others they seem clueless that there is a rising bollard. The bollards demand that the driver reads the signs. Is this acceptable? Some drivers do not read English. If the attempt was to stop access, this could be achieved with a less dramatic process. I propose that the speed of the bollard rise is designed to damage. A ramp would achieve the same effect with no damage.

Some people do not attempt to break the law - they are simply clueless.

Norm

gavintc said:
OK, so you have no issue with a system that pushes a battering ram from the side of the road at all cyclists that RLJ or a car flipper on motorways for all cars that exceed 70 mph.
If it was clearly signed with flashing lights etc, yes, I think that would be a grand idea. :biggrin:

GrasB

Veteran
gavintc said:
I propose that the speed of the bollard rise is designed to damage.
As it stands they come up fast enough to hit the engine, sure it may well do some serious damage but if the bollards rise more slowly people are more likly to try it on & they're more likly make contact with the rear of the car... now stop & think what's typically underneath the car towards the back. Yes that would be it the FUEL TANK! Talk about upping the ante ;)

NigC

Trevrev said:
Carbonara........Oh mate!!! I love it. Haven't had it for ages.
Mmmmmmmmm.....

I've already eaten: New potatoes and crunchy bacon bits with a generous helping of salad cream xx( But to wash it down - chlorine flavoured swimming pool water ;)

Top Bottom