Cars get owned in protected bus lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Crikey StuartG, I'm shocked that you could excuse such blatantly intentional stupidity. The drivers ought to be charged for their attempts to beat the very obvious bollard system, and driving in a way which endangers everyone around them. You can't seriously be trying to suggest the poor idiots didn't know *exactly* what they were doing, and the risk they were taking.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The first clip with the people-carrier hitting the bollards, and the family immediately rushing to see if their baby was OK, left a bad taste in my mouth. That was not even slightly amusing, perhaps?

OK, apart from the tow-truck, all the clips showed a level of stupidity, but there seems to be a certain sadism from the people who design the hair-trigger timing. Yes, I know that a lot of people will say it is necessary. I'm not one of them.

StuartG said:
I am saddened that creating a dangerous situation is regarded as funny. It is pretty evident that not only the occupants of the car were horrified at what might have happened to the baby in the rear. Don't just blame the driver, people who put these things in know what will happen as it is obvious it will encourage this behaviour time and time again and the innocent will suffer.

As for the example at RTTL the applause when it is obvious the dummy/driver would have been killed but the post still works is positively sickening!

Camera/PCN is surely a safer way to enforce car free zones?

I agree with Stuart on this one.....I was horrified at this video.:biggrin:

Ok motorists (+bus drivers) p155 me off (sometimes) and I have had not such a good ride back tonight which has upset me a bit due to an incident but I still think this is a bit out.

BentMikey said:
Crikey StuartG, I'm shocked that you could excuse such blatantly intentional stupidity. The drivers ought to be charged for their attempts to beat the very obvious bollard system, and driving in a way which endangers everyone around them. You can't seriously be trying to suggest the poor idiots didn't know *exactly* what they were doing, and the risk they were taking.

Perhaps they aren't as clever as you...do you think they would try it again?

It's a poor design if it is designed in such a way that people get injured whether they are stupid or not...and let's face it we have all done stupid things....*apart from BentMikey*

Does that excuse children getting hurt as well whether the parents are stupid or not?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
zophiel said:
follow the rules and there wouldnt have been an accident simple really.

Perhaps the immediate "punishment" for attempting to sneak up a bus lane should be proportionate to the offence, rather than some kind of ambush?

I doubt if many of the motors came off with less than £3000 worth of damage. If you don't subscribe to proportionality, why not install RPGs to lob a grenade into the passenger compartment? It would be really simple. We could all have a whole load of laughs as well.

StuartG

slower but further
Excellent point. I cringe every time I see that DVLA advert that revels in the the crunching up of a perfectly serviceable car because someone has not taxed or SORNed it.

Fine them, if they don't/can't pay confiscate it and resell it to the advantage of the taxpayer. But to needlessly destroy machinery in that way is plain hooliganism to me. Young lads are given ASBOs for much less destructive behaviour.

I guess some people just enjoy destruction. Still think it a bit sad ...

zophiel

Veteran
slowmotion said:
Perhaps the immediate "punishment" for attempting to sneak up a bus lane should be proportionate to the offence, rather than some kind of ambush?

I doubt if many of the motors came off with less than £3000 worth of damage. If you don't subscribe to proportionality, why not install RPGs to lob a grenade into the passenger compartment? It would be really simple. We could all have a whole load of laughs as well.

or perhaps if they cannot follow the rules of that road they shouldnt be driving in the 1st place.

hackbike 666 said:
Does this apply to RLJers?

yes it does they are as bad as others who dont follow simple road rules.

Norm

slowmotion said:
If you don't subscribe to proportionality, why not install RPGs to lob a grenade into the passenger compartment? It would be really simple. We could all have a whole load of laughs as well.
There's probably already some video of that on YouTube. :biggrin:

zophiel said:
or perhaps if they cannot follow the rules of that road they shouldnt be driving in the 1st place.

yes it does they are as bad as others who dont follow simple road rules.

That must mean a high majority of motorists/cyclists from what I see.:biggrin:

Bman

Guru
slowmotion said:

I agree with that. Dont waste a perfectly good car!

That said, usually (I expect) the cars that are untaxed/uninsured etc are usually a POS anyway. Probably worth more to the taxpayer in scrap than being resold and let out on the road again.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Norm said:
There's probably already some video of that on YouTube. :biggrin:

Yeah.. right. Perhaps the traffic engineers should take a "fact finding" jaunt to see how they do that stuff in Baghdad.

Blackwater seemed to have the right idea about how to control traffic...:sad:

slowmotion said:

Definition of Ambush -a long-established military tactic, in which the aggressors (the ambushing force) use concealment to attack a passing enemy. Ambushers strike from concealed positions, such as among dense underbrush or behind hilltops. Ambushes have been used consistently throughout history, from ancient to modern warfare.

Putting a 6 foot square sign with flashing lights as well as the road signage and signs at the bollards rather makes a mockery of any claim that these bollards an "ambush"

As for the rest - the damage is down to the morons who think that charging through these well promulgated features is a good idea. Its called Darwinism.

I love the Grenade idea as well, buts let put this in proportion.

A grenade has a six foot sign in flashing lights that says if you pull the pin and lob it into your car there is a high probability you will damage your car and hurt the occupants.

If someone ignores this and several other large prominent signs and does this - is it the fault of the grenade, or as with the driving the stupidity of the person who believes that such petty rules do not apply to them?

Top Bottom