Cars not signalling off roundabouts

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Rooster1, 20 May 2019.

1. Rooster1

Rooster1 I was right about that saddle

My new commute is do-able entirely on cycle paths. I have to go past a couple of roundabouts on my journey and i've noticed that more times than not, cars just don't bother signalling to come off - making it dicey for me to cross from one cycle path to the next. Ironically, it would be quicker and safer if I went on the road at the roundabouts. My son has the same issue getting to school as a pedestrian sround a roundabout. People never signal so all of a sudden a car that might be going straignt on is actually coming off. Why can't people be bothered to use their damn indicators.

2. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Because they know where they are going

3. A few cars have a ‘3 flash’ function in the indicators now. You pull the stalk, it flashes 3 times, then cancels. If you don’t happen to be looking at the time the 3 flashes are happening, you won’t notice the indication has happened.

Andy in Germany and C R like this.
  4. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

Because they are dick heads. Thats all you need to know. :okay:

tyred, keithmac, DCBassman and 5 others like this.
  5. PeteXXX

PeteXXX Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

It's best to not believe indicators! They might not be indicating what you think..

Still, it annoys me as well.

HLaB, Pat "5mph", dave r and 3 others like this.
  6. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Plenty of cyclists and motorcyclists don’t either

7. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Banging donk

This.

8. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

Indicators are a should, not a must, so unless we're all wearing our helmets and high viz, well, you know...

Illaveago and Phaeton like this.
  9. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

A friend was hit on a roundabout. Hit by a driver that turned left off the RA without indicating. The police deemed it was my friend who was at fault as he should have given way to the vehicle to the right. When he argued that he assumed the driver was carrying straight on, he was advised indicating by the driver would have been nice, but not necessarily law.

Not sure what the HC says about this.

10. Bonefish Blues

Bonefish Blues Banging donk

I never assume in a car, never mind on a bicycle, especially on a roundabout - where people seem to forget that they are round and they can, well, go round again, as opposed to diving for an exit.

11. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

This is why so called cycle paths are less safe than riding on the road. The cycle paths often end for council convenience reasons, rather than safety, and oftentimes they are downright dangerous pushing cyclists back out onto roads where motorists just aren't expecting you to appear. You are better off tackling roundabouts as any other vehicle would, holding the lane, and making you intentions clear.

12. sheddy

sheddy Guru

and the retards that don't signal right on a roundabout.

13. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Many German cars don't have indicators fitted, they're an optional extra. That's because in a German car you can assume everybody will give way to you.

14. byegad

byegad Legendary Member

I really boils my wee. I suspect some/most drivers pay £100/blink because their indicators are on pay-per-blink, not contract like me.

classic33 likes this.
  15. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

I find more annoying the drivers who rush up to a junction hoping to intimidate you into letting them out then stamp pointedly on the brake when you don't so that the front of the car jerks down and up. That kind of driver gets ignored, but I sometimes slow down for the ones who sit quietly waiting. I never flash anybody out.

david k and Andy in Germany like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice