Cars not signalling off roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
A friend was hit on a roundabout. Hit by a driver that turned left off the RA without indicating. The police deemed it was my friend who was at fault as he should have given way to the vehicle to the right. When he argued that he assumed the driver was carrying straight on, he was advised indicating by the driver would have been nice, but not necessarily law.

Not sure what the HC says about this.
Indicators are a should, not a must...
Although to be fair, in the roundabout section, so is giving priority to the right.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Rule 186
Signals and position. When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
  • keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.
When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
  • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

the-highway-code-rule-185.jpg

This is no different to when I learnt to drive in 1976

Gary E

Veteran
I have a similar issue on my commute home (by car). There's a busy 3 way island and cars in the lane to my right (strictly speaking it's straight on but it's still the junction to my right and so I have to give way) can either turn left, and so I can go, or right, and so I have to wait for them to pass in front of me.
The problem is that very few of them bother to indicate and so it's very cat and mouse. I have to assume (for safety), if they're not indicating, that they're going to be turning right. I often sit there like a lemon as car after car turns left :cursing:.

Paulus

See above, but basically each turning off of a roundabout should be treated as a separate junction . So unless you are turning off at the first left exit, you should be indicating right until you get to the exit you want and then indicate left.

Paulus

That to me is wrong & not a complete picture, if there are 2 lanes approaching & 2 lanes leaving, approaching the roundabout in the right lane & exiting straight forward in the right lane is not incorrect. indicating correctly of course.
If you are going off at the first exit, or straight across the roundabout you should be in the left lane. You should be in the right hand lane if you are taking the third/fourth exit. Unless road markings dictate otherwise It is quite easy to see.

D

Deleted member 26715

If you are going off at the first exit, or straight across the roundabout you should be in the left lane. You should be in the right hand lane if you are taking the third/fourth exit. Unless road markings dictate otherwise It is quite easy to see.
I still disagree, if there are 2 lanes on entry to the roundabout & there are 2 exits from the roundabout (in the straight across position) then approaching in the right hand lane is not incorrect.

That to me is wrong & not a complete picture, if there are 2 lanes approaching & 2 lanes leaving, approaching the roundabout in the right lane & exiting straight forward in the right lane is not incorrect. indicating correctly of course.

That diagram isn't seeking to define which lane you should be in, it's just showing what and when the indication should be. So, yes, it's incomplete but I don't think it's trying to do more than show correct signalling behaviour.

On the 'correct lane' question, however, it's perfectly valid to be in the right hand lane and go straight on where there are two lanes on approach and exit, and that's because it *is* wrong for someone in the left lane to do anything other than go left or straight ahead (so right and straight ahead cannot cause them an issue). Of course, all this can be modified by lane marking and it certainly would be wrong to go straight ahead from the right approach lane if there were a 'Right turn only' arrow in that right lane.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I got a bit annoyed driving in France when tackling roundabouts, until I realised that they don't signal at all until they're coming off the roundabout.

So, there's no equivalent of our right turning signal - any vehicle on the roundabout is presumed to be staying on unless it's signalling to come off. When that penny dropped it made a lot more sense.

mustang1

Guru
Has anyone mentioned BMWs yet? It's usually customary to mention that brand of car but it appears that drivers of many different car brands do this.

I'm sure in a future thread it will move back to BMWs again.

Just sayin'

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Has anyone mentioned BMWs yet? It's usually customary to mention that brand of car but it appears that drivers of many different car brands do this.

I'm sure in a future thread it will move back to BMWs again.

Just sayin'

It seems to be Mercedes drives here lately

I think I've found out what the "C" in C-Class means

Top Bottom