Cars not signalling off roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need eyes in the back and side of your head on most multi lane roundabouts, even in a car. Total lack of discipline or IDGAF. Sister has had the rear corner of her car squashed recently by a someone swapping lanes and not looking.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I would also add to the above that all a flashing indicator means is that:-
a) There's bulb in there.
b) It works!

Intermittently !

keithmac

Guru
I look at the front wheels now when overtaking cars on a motorcycle or coming up to roundabouts (bike/ car/ cycle).

Nearly got taken out on a dual carriageway a few years back by a lorry that didn't indicate and pulled out without checking, seeing me. Luckily I saw his front wheels moving before it was too late and managed to start braking.

Best bet is to always be prepared for worse possible outcome.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Because they are predictable based on the guidance at the time they learnt. How many drivers do you know who change what they do each year based on changes in the latest edition? HC is only guidance and indicating doesn't fall under any road law as far as I'm aware.

You can't look at the latest HC issued in 2019 and reasonably predict every driver will follow that guidance.
And yet you object when I call those drivers unpredictable?

Seriously, I don't expect all drivers to promptly learn every revision of the HC. I can't even find my copy.

Yet I struggle to understand how a driver with 40+ years of experience can fail to be aware that indicating advice at roundabouts has changed. Even without a printed copy of the HC, direct observation of other drivers should make it obvious that there is a new way to indicate.
How much time would you say is reasonable for a driver to lean the latest HC?

Has anyone recommended mandatory retesting yet?

I always look at front wheels as indicators and their use is so variable. Lol back in 2013 I was taken out doing that but I'm still alive so I'll continue. I got to a roundabout and gave way to a big old fashioned sports car (the type with large wheels on the outside of the car body). The driver behind me stopped too. Lol, it was clear that he was staying on the roundabout so I gave way for a second more. The car behind which had been stopped thought they saw an indicator and accelerated into the back of me. Her first words were 'I saw you'. You saw me so you hit me :wacko: Still being hit from behind was still the better outcome in my head than pulling out in front of a car travelling at speed that was clearly not pulling off :okay:

Johnno260

Veteran
People don't even understand the give way to the right rule on roundabouts, you expect them to signal as well?

I had a Range Rover come from my left this morning, she raged as I didn't stop on the roundabout and let her through, she followed me to the super market and raged at me, so I asked her how a roundabout worked, I said I was already on the roundabout before she approached it, and that I was on her right, it didn't compute with her so I retorted if left and right is too hard to comprehend then you shouldn't be driving.

The trouble with the ‘only indicate if there is someone to benefit’ philosophy is -human nature. Most people I believe, just interpret it as ‘I don’t need to bother indicating’.

Another problem with it is that it demands a level of situational awareness of which human beings are known to be not capable even when not tired, irritable and trying to get home after a hard day’s inner city plumbing . . .

Of course drivers need to be constantly and actively aware, but telling them to make snap judgements about when and when not to indicate is not going to encourage that. It just contributes to the already critical information overload at busy junctions, and encourages people to take the easy option.

Sorry, but I’m firmly with the Old School on this one.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You need eyes in the back and side of your head on most multi lane roundabouts, even in a car. Total lack of discipline or IDGAF. Sister has had the rear corner of her car squashed recently by a someone swapping lanes and not looking.
Which is why i go a mile + out of my way going to work on the bike , it avoids the roundabout of death outside our workplace.Its bad enough in a vehicle /car let alone a bike

...telling them to make snap judgements about when and when not to indicate ...

it's not supposed to be a snap judgement though. It's supposed to be a considered choice which stems from constant and high levels of situational awareness. Nor is the idea of not signalling automatically in the least bit new; it's decades old (at least three, probably more).

That said, I'd agree with your implicit point that the majority of people piloting vehicles of all sorts are woefully lacking in observation and situational awareness. It's pretty remarkable how few collisions there are in fact ;-)

david k

Hi
My new commute is do-able entirely on cycle paths. I have to go past a couple of roundabouts on my journey and i've noticed that more times than not, cars just don't bother signalling to come off - making it dicey for me to cross from one cycle path to the next. Ironically, it would be quicker and safer if I went on the road at the roundabouts. My son has the same issue getting to school as a pedestrian sround a roundabout. People never signal so all of a sudden a car that might be going straignt on is actually coming off. Why can't people be bothered to use their damn indicators.
I once asked someone who was driving why they weren't signalling on roundabouts, they relied 'who to'......sigh

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That sounds somewhat perverse (and potentially dangerous). Source ??
I think blocking the sight line is actually to try to force people to slow down, such as the northbound approach to the western A45/A509 junction near Wellingborough.

Of course, what happened instead is people driving out blind (the common but incorrect practice of driving into space you can't see to be obstructed, rather than only into space that you're sure will be clear), unable to stop in time once they saw a vehicle with priority, so I think that one now has traffic lights too :rolleyes:

Top Bottom