Cars not signalling off roundabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
My new commute is do-able entirely on cycle paths. I have to go past a couple of roundabouts on my journey and i've noticed that more times than not, cars just don't bother signalling to come off - making it dicey for me to cross from one cycle path to the next. Ironically, it would be quicker and safer if I went on the road at the roundabouts. My son has the same issue getting to school as a pedestrian sround a roundabout. People never signal so all of a sudden a car that might be going straignt on is actually coming off. Why can't people be bothered to use their damn indicators.

D

Deleted member 26715

Why can't people be bothered to use their damn indicators.
Because they know where they are going

A few cars have a ‘3 flash’ function in the indicators now. You pull the stalk, it flashes 3 times, then cancels. If you don’t happen to be looking at the time the 3 flashes are happening, you won’t notice the indication has happened.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
A friend was hit on a roundabout. Hit by a driver that turned left off the RA without indicating. The police deemed it was my friend who was at fault as he should have given way to the vehicle to the right. When he argued that he assumed the driver was carrying straight on, he was advised indicating by the driver would have been nice, but not necessarily law.

Not sure what the HC says about this.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I never assume in a car, never mind on a bicycle, especially on a roundabout - where people seem to forget that they are round and they can, well, go round again, as opposed to diving for an exit.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This is why so called cycle paths are less safe than riding on the road. The cycle paths often end for council convenience reasons, rather than safety, and oftentimes they are downright dangerous pushing cyclists back out onto roads where motorists just aren't expecting you to appear. You are better off tackling roundabouts as any other vehicle would, holding the lane, and making you intentions clear.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I find more annoying the drivers who rush up to a junction hoping to intimidate you into letting them out then stamp pointedly on the brake when you don't so that the front of the car jerks down and up. That kind of driver gets ignored, but I sometimes slow down for the ones who sit quietly waiting. I never flash anybody out.

Top Bottom