Cars with loud exhausts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was buzzed this morning by a red Range Rover and a white Audi coupé having a competition to see whose exhaust made the rudest, loudest noise. Both cars accelerated out of a quiet village braking then accelerating repeatedly, the exhausts popping on the overrun.

It's already a problem for residents in central London during summer when Arab playboys flood the streets with loud sports cars. I heard the Saturday night parade a few years ago while trying to sleep in my hotel before the London 100, it sounded like heavy artillery a few blocks away.

So now we have hotted-up BMWs, Audis and Mercedes Benzes, tuned so that they pop and crackle on the overrun and when one passes close there's an explosion of noise and shockwaves. I hate this macho car culture and if I had my way I'd ban TV car ads and shows like Top Gear that glamourise speed and automotive bling.

The Police are too thin on the ground to deal with them and anyway I doubt it would be possible to prove they are breaking any law. In Germany car modifications are strictly controlled but here anything goes. I'd be willing to bet that almost none of the owners has informed their insurers about the extra power modifications so technically most are uninsured.

HMRC has recently gone after unlicensed dog breeders by hitting them with huge tax bills. Assuming the will existed in Parliament, what could be done to stamp out sports tuned cars and tone down the car culture?

classic33

Leg End Member
Checked and reported at every MOT. An incentive for those doing the tests.

D

Deleted member 26715

The Police are too thin on the ground to deal with them and anyway I doubt it would be possible to prove they are breaking any law. In Germany car modifications are strictly controlled but here anything goes.
First & foremost I am a certified petrolhead, but I totally agree with you about the noise, but there is no law against it, just like having the stereo turned up with the boom boom boom
I'd be willing to bet that almost none of the owners has informed their insurers about the extra power modifications so technically most are uninsured.
What extra power? most of these stupid mods sap power

There was talk about each manufacturer producing a decibel number for each car & then banning anything above 20% higher at MOT time,

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Most of these modifications won't help - why do the big manufacturers spend millions developing the cars (and the best exhaust for their quick ones) when a cheapo loud one 'makes it faster' ? They sound shite ! I'd rather hear the engine note than the ruddy pea shooter exhaust.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
That's incorrect otherwise I should be driving around with a very loud exhaust

So you admit you have a tiny todger ....?

That's a brave thing to admit to.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Bikers used to get nicked for them, cars? Plod isn't expected to get on their knees to inspect, so no charge, just a warning.
You even get very diluded penis enhancers who remove baffling from a diesel aswel as the cat.. Total twonks.

Bag of sugar in the fuel tank and run until its kaput should be law. Or just crush

Slick

Guru
There is a law against it. The cops had me running up and down the street years back trying to prove I had an illegal bike, to no avail I may add.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I feel sorry for any who lives next to a Harley Davidson. They don’t seem to have any restrictions either.
There is one down our road, the noise when the guy gets it out of the garage is crazy loud.

vickster

Legendary Member
I feel sorry for any who lives next to a Harley Davidson. They don’t seem to have any restrictions either.
There is one down our road, the noise when the guy gets it out of the garage is crazy loud.
Around here, it's more sports bikes covered in plastic which riders feel should be ridden at around 70 on the local 40mph DCs...nobbers

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Some cars, apparently, have a switch, which opens the exhaust upstream of the rear silencer. So it would be difficult for a PC to measure the decibel level.

It's just part of the general breakdown of manners in society by people who think the rules don't apply to them.

Top Bottom