cashpoints and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

Does anyone cycle right up to cashpoints to get money out?

And the minute you type your pin code in, start to feel nervous that you could be robbed or bike-jacked in such a vulnerable position?

And then do it again the next day?

longers

Legendary Member
No, I get out enough money for the whole week.

Cyclista

Yep, roll straight up to the cashpoint astride the bike, never worry about it. For the lengh of time that I am stationary, the chances of this happening are very small.

Abitrary said:
Ok, I basically mean at night in a less than salubrious part of town.
And I get most of my money from cashpoints in Portsmouth, a less than salubrious town :smile:

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Cyclista said:
Yep, roll straight up to the cashpoint astride the bike, never worry about it. For the lengh of time that I am stationary, the chances of this happening are very small.

And I get most of my money from cashpoints in Portsmouth, a less than salubrious town :smile:

Oh yes. Anyone who's ever got the ferry from portsmouth knows it.

I got scared the first time I went there, and there was a bus going to a place called 'The Hard'.

yenrod

I pretty much always do it - and Ive a better chance of getting away than if I was on foot even if the card was nabbed I could just call the bank and cancel the card. The only 'hotpoint' is when the money comes out but then I usually just grab card/money and shove the whole lot in pocket AND GO !

Cyclista

Abitrary said:
Oh yes. Anyone who's ever got the ferry from portsmouth knows it.

I got scared the first time I went there, and there was a bus going to a place called 'The Hard'.

:biggrin: :tongue: It's a big bus stop where you can get to any part of Pompey that you wish :smile: and even get one out of there (as fast as you can!) should you want to :smile:

Plax

Guru
Easy solution is to not carry cash. I never do, I pay for everything by debit card. Then I don't have to worry about frittering all my money away on sweeties or being robbed on at the cashpoint whilst straddling my bike:biggrin:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Duh, once as an undercover ped I was approaching my local 'hole in the wall' and had a berk on a fixie ride up on the pavement, and basically push his way in front of the cash point and, ignoring everything else, was busily typing in his PIN etc.

Watching him stood astride his bike it ocurred to me that if someone were to want to seriously rob this bloke, they could easily pin('scuse pun)him against the wall with his own bike, snatch the cash and then leg it.

Of course we wouldn't want that happening to anyone, but especially not to someone who has been riding on the pavement:evil::ohmy:. :biggrin:

T x

bonj2

agree with plax, i try not to carry too much cash.

Although I don't see why you're any more likely to be mugged astride your bike using the cash machine than walking up to the cash machine without your bike?

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

bonj said:
agree with plax, i try not to carry too much cash.

Although I don't see why you're any more likely to be mugged astride your bike using the cash machine than walking up to the cash machine without your bike?

I've never heard about anyone being mugged on a bike at a cash point, but I do feel like I'm in a dentist waiting room when I do it.

Put it this way, if I was a mugger, I'd wait at cashpoints for cyclists to pull up and then accost them and nick whatever was worth more.

I'd even try and get a coherent appraisal of why their bike would be worth any more than what they'd taken out of the wall, stroke my chin, and take the lesser worth one, just out of respect for their playing the game.

Top Bottom