Cassette Lock Ring Stuck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Hi, have chainwhip on to stop the cassette moving
Have the lockring remover in place (secured a little by quick release) to stop it coming out
Have a lengthy spanner on the lockring remover and it won't budge.

I obviously overtightened it on at some point.

Have even tried getting a hammer on the spanner to see if that free's things.

I looked a few videos to get my technique right so I know it should move, it just won't

How about getting some sort of lube in the lockring?

:sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
More leverage needed.

Adam4868

Guru
How about a bit of tubing over the spanner to lengthen it,i use a old bit of scaffold.Mind your knuckles !!

Tim Hall

<should have used a torque wrench...>

More usefully, my technique is to place the wheel on the ground, on edge (in its normal attitude). Place the chain whip and lock ring tool handles at "ten to two" and push down. Hard.

(If this was what you were doing I don't know what else to suggest, other than pushing harder)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My technique is to use a bench vice to secure the locking tool and use the whole wheel as leverage and turn it like a steering wheel.

Tim Hall

My technique is to use a bench vice to secure the locking tool and use the whole wheel as leverage and turn it like a steering wheel.
How do you hold the chain whip in such circumstances?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If it's really stuck, try one of the freezing aerosol penetrating lubricants, but the effect will probably be minimal. A spanner longer than the wheel radius has shifted most things that are going to shift without breaking.

<should have used a torque wrench...>
Careful! I mentioned using torque wrenches once. Think I got away with it... ;)

Top Bottom