Cassette question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
All the bikes i look at are listed with the biggest and smallest cog sizes in the cassette supplied on the bike, how do you know what size cogs are in between? Does it even matter? Should i go away and stop worrying about these things?

potsy

Rambler
All the bikes i look at are listed with the biggest and smallest cog sizes in the cassette supplied on the bike, how do you know what size cogs are in between? Does it even matter? Should i go away and stop worrying about these things?
I'd say stop worrying :thumbsup:

Generally the bigger the gap between the two ends of the cassette then the bigger the jumps between gears will be, this is why some people will run 11-23 on a road bike for very small gaps between changes.
Something like an 11-34 wll have bigger jumps and you might not find a gear that you are comfortable in.

That said, stop worrying :tongue:

sidevalve

Über Member
Cassettes come in standard configurations, check out Sheldon Brown for exact examples. They can be tailored by you [or your LBS] to your exact requirements if you so wish but TBH I wouldn't really worry about it.

OP
OP
themosquitoking
Cheers peeps, i'm going to have a read of sheldon, do some working out with that table and then go and sit in the corner and have a little word with myself.

Top Bottom