Cassette replacement - SRAM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Just buy the cheapest ! Its going to wear out anyway !

GuyBoden

Guru
Decathlon B'Twin Chains with quick release. Can't go wrong...........

big_7d24ea7de92e411e91a229c8c422e578.jpg

SRAM chains come with a power lock so you can lock and unlock chain
I know they do but I'm not sure they recommend rejoining 10sp SRAM, KMC do so I'll buy their chains.

Edit SRAM don't http://www.sram.com/sram/road/technologies/powerlock
"SRAM chain engineers PowerLock as a tool free, sure and consistent way to connect our 10 speed chains. While PL does not require special tools for install, the especially tight tolerances of 10 Speed drive trains mandated that each PowerLock is good for a one-time application only."

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
Here's what KMC claim about their different chains -

X10-73 is grey/grey, X10-93 silver (nickel plated) outer plates, grey inner plates. X10 EL is full nickel plated (inner & outer plates) and light weight. Also X10 EL is more durable than X10-73 and X10-93. If you are an active rider (Road or MTB) I recommend you X10 EL: good anti corrosion protection, lighter weight and better durability. If you are a daily commuter even in winter times you could also choose for X10 EPT which is a real Anti Rust chain.

So if that Decathlon chain is an X10 SL or EL then it looks like a real bargain.
@Hacienda71 - are you sure the Decathlon chain is one of the above rather than one of the cheaper X10-73 or 93 types?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Here's what KMC claim about their different chains -

X10-73 is grey/grey, X10-93 silver (nickel plated) outer plates, grey inner plates. X10 EL is full nickel plated (inner & outer plates) and light weight. Also X10 EL is more durable than X10-73 and X10-93. If you are an active rider (Road or MTB) I recommend you X10 EL: good anti corrosion protection, lighter weight and better durability. If you are a daily commuter even in winter times you could also choose for X10 EPT which is a real Anti Rust chain.

So if that Decathlon chain is an X10 SL or EL then it looks like a real bargain.
@Hacienda71 - are you sure the Decathlon chain is one of the above rather than one of the cheaper X10-73 or 93 types?
The lightweight BTwin Decathlon chain has cut out plates the 73 and 93 chains don't. The weight is very similar to the X10EL it is stamped up KMC on the links. So it is a lighter weight chain, looking at close up images it is not identical to the EL, so can't id it exactly.

S-Express

I've e-mailed KMC, will post their response on here if I get one.

I doubt if anyone cares. Just buy the cheapest and go riding. The differences in price mainly relate to things like the surface treatment (ie the nice gold or silver colours) or any additional machining, such as those funky holes in the side plates, or hollow pins. None of that will affect the job that the chain does. It will only affect how much you pay.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I just pick mine on the finishing - I prefer the nice shiny silver ones. The kids bikes get the silver and grey KMC chains. I don't bother with the ones with 'holes' in as it's just somewhere to fill with gunk and dirt.

OP
OP
EasyPeez

EasyPeez

Veteran
I doubt if anyone cares. Just buy the cheapest and go riding

Fair enough, I realise this is hardly a scintillating topic, but if one chain is likely to last significantly more miles than another and be more rust resistant then I'd rather understand which is which and spend the extra few pounds, rather than buying the cheapest and having to change much sooner.

If the improved durability aspect is all marketing baloney (is it?) and I'm the only one that doesn't realise that then I apologise for boring everyone!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Not done any scientific stuff on my chains to be honest, I bought my last 10spd chain which was high end at a cheap price and that was all. I might actually now go measure it and see how it compares. It is however fitted to my good bike which gets a fair bit of attention. My fixed geared bike however just gets the cheapest chains going, I`ve never though to see how long an expensive chain would last ?? The stretch just seems to be more noticeable on it. What bothers me more about my chain is how easy it is to keep it clean and if it comes up shiney and doesn`t rust . The current one fitted to my CX bike does neither and it will be getting changed soon, its 11spd and defo a cheap shimano one !

Interestingly enough i might go check out the cassette on the road bike its a Sram Red 10spd i got for nowt but it did look in very good nick before the bike was washed and put away for winter? Wonder if the more expensive alloy cassettes last longer with the better chain last longer ?

S-Express

but if one chain is likely to last significantly more miles than another and be more rust resistant then I'd rather understand which is which and spend the extra few pounds, rather than buying the cheapest and having to change much sooner.

Chain life has more to do with the kind of riding you do together with the kind of maintenance you do.

Top Bottom