Cassette slipping..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On my way to work, noticed the cassette was slipping, started to get worse, but managed to get to work just before it went completely. Now I can turn the cranks without any engagement. I suppose the ratchet is buggered...

Can it be repaired or is it time for a new cassette.. or something else?

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
new cassette and chain i think

jay clock

Massive member
new cassette and chain i think
not at all. if it is a modern cassette, then the ratchet is in the freehub which is part of the wheel. I have never mended one but they are mendable. Sometimes water gets in, it frosts up, then the springs stop clicking into whatever they click into. A good squirt of WD40 has been known to help

gbb

Legendary Member
Even if it is an old freewheel, you can DIY...if you can be bothered and have some tools. You can do it on the wheel, laid flat IIRC.

Undo the locking ring (i used to use a pin punch and hammer), remove it and the gears will lift off. Be ready for all the bearings (2 sets of them IIRC)..best to do it on a piece of rag or in a tray, something to catch any that fall out.
This exposes the pawls (ratchets). Clean, grease all moving parts and re-assemble. Its a bit fiddly, then refit the locking ring (preferably with some threadlock..although i didnt used to)

If you can source a new freewheell cheap, its probably not worth the hassle, but if its an old hack or you just want to try, its interesting and do-able. I used to do this aged 13....so it isnt that hard.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cheers mate,
sounds simple enough, will have a go at that..had a look elsewhere and yep also suggest to clean the pawls. Though looks like I will need to purchase a chain whip.

gbb said:
Even if it is an old freewheel, you can DIY...if you can be bothered and have some tools. You can do it on the wheel, laid flat IIRC.

Undo the locking ring (i used to use a pin punch and hammer), remove it and the gears will lift off. Be ready for all the bearings (2 sets of them IIRC)..best to do it on a piece of rag or in a tray, something to catch any that fall out.
This exposes the pawls (ratchets). Clean, grease all moving parts and re-assemble. Its a bit fiddly, then refit the locking ring (preferably with some threadlock..although i didnt used to)

If you can source a new freewheell cheap, its probably not worth the hassle, but if its an old hack or you just want to try, its interesting and do-able. I used to do this aged 13....so it isnt that hard.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Right thats ordered, chain whip, lockring tool.. and bugger it; a new cassette also..
Might as well have a go myself.

gbb

Legendary Member
If you do have a freewheel Ian, (i dont want to tell you how to suck eggs ;))...there's a lot of small ball bearings to get back in. When you re-assemble, put a good layer of grease onto the cones and carefully place the bearings into the grease. It keeps them in place while you put everything back together.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
gbb said:
If you do have a freewheel Ian, (i dont want to tell you how to suck eggs ;))...there's a lot of small ball bearings to get back in. When you re-assemble, put a good layer of grease onto the cones and carefully place the bearings into the grease. It keeps them in place while you put everything back together.

Thanks for the tip mate

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's a Shimano. Well I was just going to take the old cassette off, have a go at re-greasing the freehub body then throw on the new cassette.

gbb

Legendary Member
It does sound as though you have a cassette, not a freewheel Ian..in which case, forget everything i've told you ;) That relates to a freewheel.

Freewheel..usually on 5, 6, 7 and some 8 speed setups. The pawls (ratchets) are contained within the gear cluster.

Freehub (9 and 10 speed setups, and some 8 speed, )...the cassette (gear cluster) is seperate from the ratcheting mechanism (the freehub)
Sorry if i'm stating the obvious :tongue:

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This seems to have done the trick... got it locking again. Managed to cycle the 15 miles home without it slipping.
But will still take apart the hub, clean and re-grease.

jay clock said:
A good squirt of WD40 has been known to help

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
okey doke, some good few hours enjoyable fettling.
Got the new tools, so got started.. took off cassette, took out axle, bearings etc, gave them all a very good clean. Then realised I didn't have a 10mm hex key (now on order), to take off the freehub. So whilst still on wheel just gave it a good flush with wd40, then re-oiled. Seemed to run much smoother but not as smooth as I would like. Put all back together. Put new cassette on which was easy enough. except when I went for test cycle, the new cassette and chain was making a horrendous noise. Took new cassette off and replaced with old cassette. No noise. So I guess that the chain need's replacing (new one on order). So next weekend more fettling to take off the freehub and flush out.. and replace cassette and put on new chain.

it was good fun learning expericence.

Thank gawd for latex gloves....

Top Bottom