Cassettes and cimbing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TomSH27

Ok,although i have been riding for a couple of years and got quite a few miles under the bonnet i am a bit thick regarding gearing.So need your advice.

I currently have a Cannondale Caad 8 105 with the settings as below.I have changed nothing in that time.

But on climbing the steepest hills,like Sheephouse lane in Rivington i struggle,i never give up and always make it but it beats the hell out of me and my legs.Would changing the rear cassette to a 12-30 help or not worth the hassle,also what differences would i notice both on the climbs and descents.And also on the flats dont forget.

Or is there another way to help on the climbs.

Of course i have the usual limits as always such as budget would appreciate your wise knowledge on this matter.

Cranks: Fsa Gossamer, BB30, 50/34
Bottom Bracket: Fsa BB30
Chain: Kmc X10
Rear Cogs: Shimano Tiagra 4600, 12-28, 10-Speed
Front Derailleur: Shimano 105 5700, 31.8mm Clamp
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 5700
Shifters: Shimano 105 5700

I second what Colin J says, working out makes the biggest sustainable difference, I have a 12-27 cassette on my Genesis and when some of the local climbs started to cause me trouble I immediately reverted to looking at the bike and seeing what I could change; result was buying an 11-30 cassette, is it any better? I don't know, I started training with kettlebells and that has seriously strengthened my legs, new cassette is still in it's Wiggle box and I am getting up the hills.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I'd not got for an MTB triple.
Despite being more than a few kg above 'fighting weight' I get up most things on my 53/39/28** and 12-30 without killing myself.

** started life as a 53/39/30 but the mech copes fine.

I'd not got for an MTB triple.
Despite being more than a few kg above 'fighting weight' I get up most things on my 53/39/28** and 12-30 without killing myself.

** started life as a 53/39/30 but the mech copes fine.
What FD do you have, as I have the option of a 26th inner ring (have both 26 and 28) and you have a 25th range front and 18 rear giving 43 for the RD. or the 52/38/28, though I read 14th is too much a gap, so that either 50/38/26 or 52/38/28 with a 12-27 is at the limit of the RD5701 in theory, it all depends if the FD can do a 14th jump from 38 to 52 or the FD 5703 can do a max of 24th inner to outer.

PpPete

Legendary Member
What FD do you have, as I have the option of a 26th inner ring (have both 26 and 28) and you have a 25th range front and 18 rear giving 43 for the RD. or the 52/38/28, though I read 14th is too much a gap, so that either 50/38/26 or 52/38/28 with a 12-27 is at the limit of the RD5701 in theory, it all depends if the FD can do a 14th jump from 38 to 52 or the FD 5703 can do a max of 24th inner to outer.
Campag Triple FD.

BTW on another bike I have 50/38/26 (again 12-30 out back) which is 9 Speed Shimergo rig. FD is a older 105 (5600 series IIRC) and RD is an Ultegra (6600-GS I think) so I'm running it with a 5T total difference beyond Shimano's posted limits and with the right chain length and setup it could go even further - I did once give it a brief test ride with a 11-32 cassette and could access the full range of gears, whether it would play nice 'under pressure' with an 8T difference is another question.

I've read that some of the modern FDs with the deeper inner plates are less tolerant of non-standard chainring gaps than the older style. A little work with a Dremel might fix that though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I discovered that my old 10 speed Chorus double FD worked perfectly well with my new triple chainset, once I lowered the mech to suit the new 48 tooth big ring (reduced from 53). The left shifter was fine too and the old chain was ok once shortened.

I discovered that my old 10 speed Chorus double FD worked perfectly well with my new triple chainset, once I lowered the mech to suit the new 48 tooth big ring (reduced from 53). The left shifter was fine too and the old chain was ok once shortened.
I did read on Sheldons that some double FD's work with triples.
Campag Triple FD.

BTW on another bike I have 50/38/26 (again 12-30 out back) which is 9 Speed Shimergo rig. FD is a older 105 (5600 series IIRC) and RD is an Ultegra (6600-GS I think) so I'm running it with a 5T total difference beyond Shimano's posted limits and with the right chain length and setup it could go even further - I did once give it a brief test ride with a 11-32 cassette and could access the full range of gears, whether it would play nice 'under pressure' with an 8T difference is another question.

I've read that some of the modern FDs with the deeper inner plates are less tolerant of non-standard chainring gaps than the older style. A little work with a Dremel might fix that though.
So a FD-5703 should possible cope with the extra 2th from 28 to 26 i.e. 50/38/26 the RD would be fine even on a 12-27 cassette as total capacity would be 39th, it currently shifts from 30-40 fine never had this FD setup with 30-42 but suspect it would be fine and 40 to 52 is fine so the gaps in themselves are not a problem just wondered about total capcity, because a 50/38/26 12-25 would be a really nice setup.

stephec

Legendary Member
Sheephouse lane's not steep. :whistle:

Nah actually I've hardly ever ridden it, tried to avoid it at all costs.

I once freewheeled down it at 45mph though on an old rigid MTB, overtaking cars as I went was a right giggle. :biggrin:

ColinJ

Sheephouse lane's not steep. :whistle:

Nah actually I've hardly ever ridden it, tried to avoid it at all costs.

I once freewheeled down it at 45mph though on an old rigid MTB, overtaking cars as I went was a right giggle. :biggrin:
I was wondering whether it was the road that the riders descended in the Commonwealth Games road races in 2002 and I just found out that it was. I stood on the bend at the bottom and thought to myself that the descent and bend would be dodgy under race conditions and sure enough, riders were falling off. The most noticeable was Nicole Cooke who over-Cooked it (groan!) on the last lap and came off, but somehow recaught the other riders and won the sprint!

I planned a route from Hebden Bridge to Rivington and back for a future forum ride and intend to climb Sheephouse Lane. It actually doesn't look that steep on the OS map - about 5% average with one section of about 600 metres at 10%. Still, if you are struggling then that is steep enough to hurt.

Low gears would help, but without dodgy joints that's a very doable climb with a few thousand miles in your legs to build them up.

stephec

Legendary Member
I was wondering whether it was the road that the riders descended in the Commonwealth Games road races in 2002 and I just found out that it was. I stood on the bend at the bottom and thought to myself that the descent and bend would be dodgy under race conditions and sure enough, riders were falling off. The most noticeable was Nicole Cooke who over-Cooked it (groan!) on the last lap and came off, but somehow recaught the other riders and won the sprint!

I planned a route from Hebden Bridge to Rivington and back for a future forum ride and intend to climb Sheephouse Lane. It actually doesn't look that steep on the OS map - about 5% average with one section of about 600 metres at 10%. Still, if you are struggling then that is steep enough to hurt.

Low gears would help, but without dodgy joints that's a very doable climb with a few thousand miles in your legs to build them up.
Is that all it is?

It seems steeper than that when you're going up it.

The surface doesn't help either as it's that really poor quality that seems to grip your tyres and make it feel as if you're riding through mud.

Watch out for the bottom bit where it narrows and turns, there's not much more than enough width for two cars to pass each other.

ColinJ

Is that all it is?

It seems steeper than that when you're going up it.

The surface doesn't help either as it's that really poor quality that seems to grip your tyres and make it feel as if you're riding through mud.

Watch out for the bottom bit where it narrows and turns, there's not much more than enough width for two cars to pass each other.
Here you go ...

Sheephouse Lane climb Rivington.gif

OP
OP
davdandy

davdandy

Some guys find it steep other do not.At my age and with poor knees and back it is steep.When i was 18 i would shoot up it but i ain`t 18 no more.Don't forget that peeps.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I did read on Sheldons that some double FD's work with triples.
So a FD-5703 should possible cope with the extra 2th from 28 to 26 i.e. 50/38/26 the RD would be fine even on a 12-27 cassette as total capacity would be 39th, it currently shifts from 30-40 fine never had this FD setup with 30-42 but suspect it would be fine and 40 to 52 is fine so the gaps in themselves are not a problem just wondered about total capcity, because a 50/38/26 12-25 would be a really nice setup.
A modern medium cage (GS) RD will cope with that total capacity without any drama. The only slight doubt is the shape of the FD-5703 might mean you have to mount it higher than optimal, or grind a bit off the bottom of the inner plate.

A modern medium cage (GS) RD will cope with that total capacity without any drama. The only slight doubt is the shape of the FD-5703 might mean you have to mount it higher than optimal, or grind a bit off the bottom of the inner plate.
It will work with the 28/38/50 as its designed really for the 50th large ring, and I know it does 22 capacity because thats hows its set up, I know it will need to be lowered for optimum clearance, just wondered if it would stretch to 24, guess I will just try it set it up for the 50/38/28 and then change the inner ring as I have both a 28 and a 26 and get back when I have done it, a let people know.

Top Bottom