cassettes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid

bonj2

Graham1 said:
I need a new 8 speed 11/32 cassette for my hybrid, they appear to be rarer than hens teeth I can get an 11/30 easily, if I buy an 11/30 will I need to shorten the chain or will it work as 11/32.

Get the 11/32 as Steve linked to as that's what you're used to.
but for reference if you did get an 11/30 you probably wouldn't need to shorten the chain as one of the sprockets on a 11/32 will be 30 (or 29 or 31), so when the chain's on that it's only like being on the biggest of an 11/30.
It's when it's on the 11 tooth that will tell you whether the chain's too short or not - i.e. if it's fine on the 11 tooth of an 11/32, it'll be fine on the 11 tooth of an 11/30.

Graham1 said:
I need a new 8 speed 11/32 cassette for my hybrid, they appear to be rarer than hens teeth I can get an 11/30 easily, if I buy an 11/30 will I need to shorten the chain or will it work as 11/32.
I fitted an 8spd 11-32 cassette quite recently, this is the cassette I bought. I had a 11-34 before and the advice I got was I didn't need to alter my chain for such a small difference and I doubt you will either.

e-rider

crappy member
almost certainly no need to shorten the chain if you go for a 11-30.

when I used to use 8 speed I always used 11-30 - it seemed to be more popular back then whereas now all the 9 speed cassettes are either 11-32 or 11-34.

I really don't see the need for a 34t cog so always use 11-32 (9 spd) and even then I rarely use my top 32t cog.

11-30 is a good range for 8 speed cassettes IMO

RedBike

You're probably going to need a new chain anyway if you're swapping the cassette?

There's a strong chance a used chain will slip on a new cassette; and if it doesn't it will wear out your new cassette at an alarming rate.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Graham1 said:

I think I might have a brand new one that I don't need - if you can bear the suspense I'll have a look in the shed tonight and let you know.

OP
OP
G

Graham1

RedBike said:
You're probably going to need a new chain anyway if you're swapping the cassette?

There's a strong chance a used chain will slip on a new cassette; and if it doesn't it will wear out your new cassette at an alarming rate.

I have just fitted a new chain and this is slipping on the cassette so a new cassette is needed thought i might get away without cassette as the chain was only just on the .75 on my checker and was replaced last time round.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Found it! It's a new Shimano HG50 11-32. I've sent you a PM Graham.

Top Bottom