Cassettes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have got the tools to take these off now to clean etc, which after over 30 years of cycling is one of my greatest mysteries solved !, bootm brackets and wheel bearings next, but small steps !
So how often if you do do it, do you take it off and clean it etc?

cheers all

Kev

Maybe a 4 or 5 times of year if I doing a thorough clean or switching out gears on the single speed.

C

chillyuk

I'm like User, only remove mine when I have to.

I understand the frustration of having nice new tools and dying to try them out :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
after every 'very' long ride.
Cleaning the cassette is one of my favourite bike cleaning jobs... and people that know me on here can probably confirm that I have one of the cleanest cassettes in clean cassettedom.
Shiny Shiny Shiny..................

Chris James

Über Member
I only take it off to change it, or to grease the hub bearings.

For cleaning I just run a rag between the cogs, but I am not obsessed with shininess!

amaferanga

Veteran
I really don't get why you'd need to remove a cassette to clean it. Doing this after every long ride seems a little bizarre to me.

martint235

Dog on a bike
after every 'very' long ride.
Cleaning the cassette is one of my favourite bike cleaning jobs... and people that know me on here can probably confirm that I have one of the cleanest cassettes in clean cassettedom.
Shiny Shiny Shiny..................

Where on earth can I start? I think by "long ride" Ian is actually referring to any ride that involves a full revolution of the rear wheel. You need sunglasses to look at his cassette. I'm convinced that one day he will actually remove the cassette and clean it at Hyde Park Corner before a Friday Night Ride. :rolleyes:

e-rider

crappy member
I never remove it just for the sake of cleaning. I only take them off when worn out (about 6000+ miles if you change the chain regular). Thats about every 4-5 years for me as I have 2 bikes that get used 50:50

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Where on earth can I start? I think by "long ride" Ian is actually referring to any ride that involves a full revolution of the rear wheel. You need sunglasses to look at his cassette. I'm convinced that one day he will actually remove the cassette and clean it at Hyde Park Corner before a Friday Night Ride. :rolleyes:

*Files away in the good idea box*

Moodyman

Legendary Member
As User.

However, I've taken it off once mid-life to clean it a crud got in-between it and freewheel

battered

Guru
I only ever remove them when they are worn out or I have to get at other bits of the wheel, such as a broken spoke or a faulty freewheel hub. If you want to clean the cassette, you can do it in situ with degreaser, paraffin or similar and a brush. There are no moving parts in a cassette after all, it's just a pile of sprockets attached to an axle.

Alun

Guru
I only ever remove them when they are worn out or I have to get at other bits of the wheel, such as a broken spoke or a faulty freewheel hub. If you want to clean the cassette, you can do it in situ with degreaser, paraffin or similar and a brush. There are no moving parts in a cassette after all, it's just a pile of sprockets attached to an axle.

You're missing out, battered. There's great fun to be had in reassembling a cassette especially campag ones that have individual cogs. You can even put the cogs in a different order for a bit of a laugh!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You're missing out, battered. There's great fun to be had in reassembling a cassette especially campag ones that have individual cogs. You can even put the cogs in a different order for a bit of a laugh!
If you put a cog in the oven for an hour or so you can do some really cool home made tattoos on your thigh.

Top Bottom