England : Staffordshire Cat & Fiddle Challenge - 07/10/2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
I did this ride 4 years ago. It was my first "group ride" since returning to cycling after a 15 year break. The first 20 or so miles were flat but it absolutely poured down. By Macc it had cleared up. The Cat climb is quite steady, once you get out of town it levels off in certain points so it's not 7 miles uphill. The second climb, Axe Edge is tougher, especially if you are riding into a headwind as I did. It rollercoasters into Leek. There are 3 short sharp climbs towards the finish, but as long as you are aware of them they shouldn't be a problem. I did it on my old Harry Hall tourer with panniers and I think my time was about 4hours 45 mins.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
It rollercoasters into Leek. There are 3 short sharp climbs towards the finish, but as long as you are aware of them they shouldn't be a problem.
Yuuup, this is what we found out last year, but there is nothing in the pre-ride information to warn you about it, which IMO is a bit naughty really. Last year I wasn't doing recce's on Google maps and RideGPD etc, so we didn't have a clue about the 'roller coaster' into Leek.

No matter, we know about it this year and we'll be ready for it :thumbsup:

I am Spartacus

Über Member
It is going to be one of those 'good' days tomorrow!
If you can turn out - then do it!
A few of us riding are out for a bit of R&R after a hard season of racing - we wont care if you pass us!
I shall be in my Rourkie kit below (longs) and this on top
04bYy.jpg

If you rock up tomorrw, then it's 25 quid .. but do remember it is going to Cystic Fibrosis charity

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm doing it with three inexperienced riders who will be on their first sportiff. The question is: lighter Roubaix or heavier Tricross with mudguards?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'm doing it with three inexperienced riders who will be on their first sportiff. The question is: lighter Roubaix or heavier Tricross with mudguards?

Depends on the weather, I would say Tricross, just out of courtesy for other riders who may drown in your spray if it gets wet and unless you are tip top in the hills, will the extra bit of weight make that much difference? (My opinion is that it wont make much difference). The gearing may also be favourable on the Tricross.

BTW, drop me a pm when you are ready to arrange something re the 2300 LH shifter :smile:

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Game on, weathers OK, just a bit foggy right now in Bolton, but forecast is good for Stoke so should be a good ride :thumbsup:

A foggy start but a beautiful day by the time I'd got to the top of the Cat climb.

2hrs:53:55 moving time (got stuck at some lights at roadworks on return into Stoke for what seemed like ages).

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/230856877

Pleased with that as I'm 50 next summer and I was over half an hour quicker than last year, when I had to keep looping back for my 18 year old son (he's come on a ton since mind, having done LEJOG in 10 days this summer).

Actually enjoyed the Cat & Fiddle climb and Axe Edge (for a change) today - weather and wind were kind!

Good day out.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Am insanely foggy start IMO, but I have to agree, a glorious day from the Cat onwards. In fact could have done with a support vehicle and a change of clothes to cater for the changing conditions as I was starting to boil up on some of the later climbs :heat:

Anyhoo, HERE is my Garmin data. 3:38:37 moving time, which considering I was hardly feckin' moving on some of the climbs near the end it will do for me.

I'm never going to be a mountain goat TBH, and frankly, I'm not that bothered. As long as I can still drag my big old @rse round a route like this in a fairly respectable time I'm happy enough.

I improved on last years max. speed too, 52.2mph :eek:. Now this may seem hypocritical based on other comments I've made about top speed on here, but on some of those descents you can't really help it, they're insane. In fact I wasn't pushing down any of them particularly :wacko: !

I kind of enjoyed the Cat itself more than last year, but I'll never 'enjoy' Axe Edge as long as I've got a hole in my @rse!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Nice to meet you briefly at the start Smkokeysmoo. I thought that about 45 miles of the ride were horrible; far too much traffic and those smokey old vintage lorries. About 5 miles was on lovely quiet country roads like we have in the Ribble Valley and I LOVED the Cat & Fiddle climb, what a superb road that is; nice even gradient, good surface, superb views, and I was able to dawdle up it and enjoy it because one of the four riders in my group was grossly unfit and suffering, so that gave me an excuse to cruise. (Just back from 2 weeks inactivity in Africa so didn't fancy rushing anyway).

Oh,and I met the legendary Brian Rourke, what a lovely bloke! His daughter was riding a bike of his make, absolutely stunning. (Bike was a looker too)

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
I actually enjoyed the cat climb this year and I too met Brian...(i think) a few times as he kept catching me again and again. He was stopping at all the checkpoints.

Agree also, his granddaughter is stunning.

Top Bottom