England : Staffordshire Cat & Fiddle Challenge - 07/10/2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I take it the ride starts and finishes in Stoke ?...........could be a long ride :bicycle::wacko:

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
I take it the ride starts and finishes in Stoke ?...........could be a long ride :bicycle::wacko:
Aye. It starts and finishes at a community centre just along the road from Brian Rourke's shop.

FWIW Sean Kelly rode it last year on this
scaled.php

scaled.php

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The last time I rode up the Cat & Fiddle was towards the end of the Knotty 600km Audax event* in 1990 something. I remember the motorcycles, the police cars waiting, and the flowers on several bends.

*Something like: Nottingham, Penrith, Kirkstone Pass, Lancaster, Preston, Macclesfield, Nottingham.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
*BUMP*

This ride is this coming Sunday for any interested parties :thumbsup:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Doesn't look too bad (did a similar club ride a few week ago, 50 mile, 4650ft climbing in that area, took just over 3 hours), hilly yes, but maneagable! I would be riding a 25t (and did so for the club run - I am running a compact though) for that route! Man up Smokey!

:smile:

I am just teasing use whatever kit you want! I hope you enjoy it, it is a nice route and challenging, but the climbs are the sort of climb you can get into a nice rhythm and just keep moving. If you aren't much of a climber just take the climbs steady and be wary of false flats, don't hammer it until you are certain you are over the summit. TBH, the hardest thing about hilly routes in a group (particularly a sportive where you don't know the people around you) is dodging the people in front of you as they slow and in some cases stall completely.

Top Bottom