England : Staffordshire Cat & Fiddle Challenge - 07/10/2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Might do it - down side is the trek to Stoke to ride back near home, and the danger of walking into Rourke's shop. :laugh:

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
As one of the 3 mentioned in smokeys post I have to add that I can't quite believe I'm doing it again!

It is well organised and a very challenging ride for all levels!

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
55 hilly miles in under two hours! Must be some quick riders doing it.......

I bought my first bike (since my teenage years) last year after being talked into it by someone (cough) and I'm a big lad, I was just under 17 stone when I did it last year in six and a half hours. I'm at least a stone lighter now so I hope to get it under 5 this time!

fossyant

Is the route as simple as I can see posted on line with GPX ?

Up to Macc, over the Cat to top, down to Leek and back to Stoke - Main Roads ?

No need for a 28. It's not steep. Long, yes but ave. gradient less than 5% climb. Hard at the start, oh and wind is an issue :thumbsup: It's more typical Tour type climb, not the fun of the Peaks at 1 in 4 etc. when you don't expect it.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC

Up to Macc, over the Cat to top, down to Leek and back to Stoke - Main Roads ?

No need for a 28. It's not steep. Long, yes but ave. gradient less than 5% climb. Hard at the start, oh and wind is an issue :thumbsup: It's more typical Tour type climb, not the fun of the Peaks at 1 in 4 etc. when you don't expect it.

Not steep? Remind me to give it a miss if you ever describe a ride as steep then...I nearly cried after the descent past the cat and saw we were going up again!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Either that or a Mr A Shleck will be taking part.

fossyant

Not steep? Remind me to give it a miss if you ever describe a ride as steep then...I nearly cried after the descent past the cat and saw we were going up again!

Oh Steep is 1 in 5, grovel stuff. Might be the visual aspect though... plays with the mind...'thisss isss steeeeeppppp..... '

If the route is right on GPX though.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Keep promising myself every year, as it practically goes passed my front door. Maybe maybe
Come on, you know you want too ;)
55 hilly miles in under two hours! Must be some quick riders doing it.......
I'm certainly not one of them :whistle:
It's simple enough and yes it's all main roads, gets a touch iffy through Stoke as it wasn't well signed last year IMO :thumbsup:
No need for a 28. It's not steep. Long, yes but ave. gradient less than 5% climb.
*COUGH* It may not appear steep from the stats but it bloody well feels it, and the hills just keep on coming after the Cat & Fiddle.

The first 20 miles is a breeze, (well it was last year). 20 miles virtually flat until you get to the Arighi Bianchi furniture shop and hang a right, then the world goes vertical :wacko:
I think the best is under 3 ?
days, weeks? :laugh:

fossyant

Just checking. The Cat is a really good ride, and a good distance for most riders.

The Cat and Fiddle Challenge isn't at the end of being really hard.... trying to say lots of steady climbing, but it won't take you up the 1 in 4 climbs we have in the area - :eek:

Just checking it does not go off 'the main roads' - then it really gets nasty....:evil:

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Just checking. The Cat is a really good ride, and a good distance for most riders.

The Cat and Fiddle Challenge isn't at the end of being really hard.... trying to say lots of steady climbing, but it won't take you up the 1 in 4 climbs we have in the area - :eek:

Just checking it does not go off 'the main roads' - then it really gets nasty....
I know what your saying foss. However, it took us by surprise last year. We obviously knew about the cat, and the directions mentioned a hill near the end and that was it, BUT, after the cat it's like a freakin' rollercoaster :eek: Myself, NotthatJasonKenny and a couple of others just really weren't prepared TBH.

I'm not saying we'll be much better prepared this year, but at least we know to expect :thumbsup:

Top Bottom