Catastrophic drivetrain failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
So on the way home, with no warning, my rear wheel locked up and I came juddering to a halt.

It was on a 40 limit dual carriageway, so I was pretty lucky I think - the car behind me was some way off.
Somehow I managed to unclip and stay upright, and hobbled over to the side of the road.

My rear mech was in the spokes.

I can only assume that the chain partially broke, jammed, and dragged the mech up into the spokes.

In retrospect, there had been a faint clicking once a chain rotation for about 5 minutes.
Is there anything I could have done? The chain is fairly new - it really shouldn't have failed like this.

Lucky I haven't got round to selling my hybrid yet.

Attachments

• DSC04596.JPG
    DSC04596.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 409

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
That is catastrophic! You must have legs like a machine to have bent the mech that far out of place! It looks like you hit a landmine!

screenman

Legendary Member
Those little plastic discs that go behind the cassette do work, even if they do not look cool.

Sad about the bike, certainly not a good time of year for spending more than needed. Glad that you are OK though.

craven2354

The same thing happened to me when I was half a mile short of my first 100 mile ride :/ I don't know what caused it the guy that fixed it couldn't work it out either

I ended up on the floor though I was half way up a hill and the bike just stopped and I went sideways has

screenman

Legendary Member
Normally it occurs when the stop screw is not adjusted properly, that combined with the flexing of the rear triangle. there may of course be other reasons.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Same thing happened to Gti Junior when his plastic-bodied cheap Campy derailleur snapped and wandered into the spokes. He had been hearing a clicking noise for a few minutes before and he ignored it, then bang. It was fairly catastrophic.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ouch.
Same thing happened to me on a SMRbtH from Brighton.
Caused by my saddle pack bursting open and shedding my Montane jacket into the gears.
I had just turned off a dual carraige way doing about 30mph when it happened.
Jacket wrapped around the cassette and tore the deraiileur in half and twisted the chain.
Not a happy bunny.

Tried to single speed it but no good.
Luckily there was an Evans close by who took the bike in there and then. Supplied and fitted a new derailleur, chain and cable within half an hour.

Top Bottom