Catastrophic drivetrain failure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Seem to remember Ben coming off a while ago, is this the same bike?

When mine went on our ride it wasn't for a few miles after the off iirc :B)

No, I've never come off on this bike, only the hybrid once and the MTB several times.

I did bash the mech with my heel quite hard a few months ago, which needed tweaking back into alignment, so it could have been that. Or it could have been a chain problem.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Holy Cameron! Never seen anything like that before. Glad you survived uscathed.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha........Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
It's not good. The mech mounted directly to the frame, and the part of the frame aft of the dropouts is badly bent - so much that it is touching the cogs on the cassette. The LBS doesn't have the facilities to deal with this, so I'm going to take it to a framebuilder in Croydon. The bike was £1,100 new, which was 18 months ago, so I'm thinking if it costs more than £400 to repair, it's not worth it.

2012-12-19%2009.00.47.jpg

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Great, this is meant in a brotherly way rather than a patronising know it all type way!

Thanks Dad. ;)

Tim Hall

It's not good. The mech mounted directly to the frame, and the part of the frame aft of the dropouts is badly bent - so much that it is touching the cogs on the cassette. The LBS doesn't have the facilities to deal with this, so I'm going to take it to a framebuilder in Croydon. The bike was £1,100 new, which was 18 months ago, so I'm thinking if it costs more than £400 to repair, it's not worth it.

Steel frame? Should be fairly straightforward I would have thought.

screenman

Legendary Member
Beano1, why do you think it might not have worked? Normally what happens in cases like this is the mech gets caught in a spoke and gets carried around by the momentum of the wheel.

There are some cases where chain problems can mess a mech up. but rarely as violently as in the picture shown.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Well, Chas Roberts in Croydon has given me a ballpark figure of under £200, but he'd have to see it to be sure. So that's cheaper than I was expecting.

snailracer

Über Member
...why do you think it might not have worked? Normally what happens in cases like this is the mech gets caught in a spoke and gets carried around by the momentum of the wheel...
Because the disc would literally need to be a foot in diameter to prevent the mech getting caught in the spokes.

Most discs are barely larger than the largest cog, they are only good for preventing the spokes getting scratched if the chain falls into the gap.

Top Bottom