Catch yerself on lady - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
"Please learn, madam" from the slang verb "to catch on" and the Norfolk idioms "lady" and positioning the subject between the parts of a verb as famously seen on the "slow you down" road signs. It's all Norfolk 'n' good. ;)

Thanks! I wasn't trying to be awkward but hadn't heard that turn of phrase before. Thought it may have been similar to our local "get thi sen off"

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Cycling home from work last week on one of the dedicated cycle paths provided by our nice council in our fair city when a lass in a car suddenly tried to cut me off when she decided to turn left immediately in front of me. :wacko: When she realised that I wasn't going to give way to her on MY cycle path, she was forced to stop. :okay: I yelled 'Tosspot, cyclepath - !' and carried on whilst she looked at me rather meekly - ! :rofl:
You wonder why people have accidents. It my right of way and Im taking it regardless. Not the smartest idea when you are under the wheels of a car. Even more stupid to post it on here. 👏👏

You wonder why people have accidents. It my right of way and Im taking it regardless. Not the smartest idea when you are under the wheels of a car. Even more stupid to post it on here. 👏👏
Well clearly he chose the right tactic, as he is here to tell us about it, with a smile :P

There are usually multiple causes for any accident - in this case the ROOT cause was a driver being negligent (and/or possibly impatient, selfish, badly trained ... ). Oh I forgot - there wasn't an accident this time, but hopefully you see what I mean ...

Good for you..
In some cases I'll give an exaggerated

"No no after you"

wave if I can gather the resources.

Otherwise a few strong words expressed, that I don't even expect to be audible, to the driver, can help to dispel the tension arising from a near miss..

My approach is to wag my finger and say something like "You naughty naughty driver" as this is definitely non-threatening but makes the point.

As an added bonus it makes them madder than anything else I could say.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My approach is to wag my finger and say something like "You naughty naughty driver" as this is definitely non-threatening but makes the point.

As abn added bonus it makes them madder than anything

Yes that's my approach if I'm not really that scared, just annoyed.

Makes you feel well cool :becool:

And anyway, I can't pretend I've never made an error whilst driving.

But now and then if you do feel mild to moderately terrified by a driver, a demonstrative hand signal, with accompanying expletive, can't be helped* .

We're all human.

*There's a difference between doing that, and baring down on a miscreant, fists flailing, foaming at the mouth, and looking like you're about to beat them to a pulp*

Landsurfer

Veteran
Well, what do you expect? Cycle-zebras were only added to the law five years ago, have yet to appear in the Highway Code and many motorists haven't read the Code since getting their driving licence, let alone kept up to date with the law or just having the basic human decency to give way to more vulnerable road users than themselves...

I'd put CCTV on most crossings where walkers or cyclists have priority over motorists and let image recognition spot idiots bullying people off the crossing with number plate reading used to ultimately issue a ticket or prosecution notice.
Great idea ... shall we close down a few women’s refuges or maybe a care home or 2 to pay for your multi million £ surveillance project. :laugh:

Great idea ... shall we close down a few women’s refuges or maybe a care home or 2 to pay for your multi million £ surveillance project. :laugh:

I'm told that in the UK there are typically 2-3 cameras on you when you are in public, more than on all of mainland Europe. It's probably already being watched.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
At the point of my expletive, she'd had to hit the brakes, and I'd had to swerve to my left, so we were about level at the time - !

Well of course we weren't there to witness it all.

But if I'd been the rider, I'd probs have used some fairly strong language in a situation like that.

If I'd been the driver, I'd have been mortified once I'd realised what I'd done.

Others react differently.

So long as you didn't carry on and escalate the situation, I don't really see a problem, with your reaction.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If I'd been the driver, I'd have been mortified once I'd realised what I'd done.

You’ve reminded me of a near collision I had on a roundabout. One of the roads leading onto it is an exit slip from a motorway and drivers are terrible about adjusting their speed on approach.

As I approached this off-slip a driver was clearly not paying attention to her speed, the traffic ahead of her already blocking her path through the roundabout, or my presence so I sounded my airzound. She braked hard but still blocked most of my escape path and I narrowly avoided a collision.

I think I shouted a “Look where you’re bloody going!”. She wound her window down and apologised profusely, which I accepted and assured her I was ok but told her she needed to watch her speed and surroundings better. She kept on apologising and I could see she was becoming very upset and in the end I was saying *I* was sorry for upsetting her.

It’s the only time I’ve felt somewhat sad for a bad driver, given her reaction. I think she had a real fright at what she could’ve done to another human being.

Top Bottom