Catch yerself on lady - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grldtnr

I think in the light of this, criticism of the OP is unfair.

We all expect people to obey the rules of the road, are wise to be alert to the fact that often they do not. When they don't it's common for both parties to have to take evasive action.

How are we to know that a particular driver is not going to stop when they should do so? The usual telltale signs and sixth senses we develop with experience can help us to predict when a situation might arise, but not in every case.

The first post was the OP's analysis of the driver's behaviour after the event.

Her failure to stop made it apparent that she had assumed the cyclist would give way. The OP could not have known what her perception/intention would be until after it manifested itself in her driving. When we're forced to unexpectedly swerve or brake or whatever it's totally excusable to let out a few choice words. I think criticism of the OP is unfair, especially when we weren't there.
Having been knocked a few times , none of them my fault, one left me in hospital for several weeks, and of work 6 months,and ongoing circumstances from it , the OP point of view is valid.
The only way motorist will ever learn to pay proper attention, is to be shouted at, admonished for thier thoughtless actions.
Regardless of age ,sex or whatever, the point must be driven home, do to speak

Landsurfer

Veteran
Having been knocked a few times , none of them my fault, one left me in hospital for several weeks, and of work 6 months,and ongoing circumstances from it , the OP point of view is valid.
The only way motorist will ever learn to pay proper attention, is to be shouted at, admonished for thier thoughtless actions.
Regardless of age ,sex or whatever, the point must be driven home, do to speak
I assume you have handed in your driving licence ... your not a terrible motorist are you ...

Drago

Legendary Member
And the only way for a cylcist to learn that shouting at motorists is a bad idea is to one day meet Kenneth Noye, Michael Gledhill, or Nathan Cumming.

Only then will they realise the futility of such behaviour.

There will always be someone bigger, tougher, or more willing to use violence than you, and one day you're likely to meet them if you can't control your gob. Just don't bother.

grldtnr

I assume you have handed in your driving licence ... your not a terrible motorist are you ...
On the contrary, no I haven't, I still drive, not very much.
I make no apologies for not letting thoughtless, careless motorists get away with it, someone has to make a stand, and if the errant driver is contrite enough ,they will realise and apologize, that's when you can make a reciprocal gesture, accept that you were wronged and forgive the miscreant.
And yes, I have made mistakes myself, but being a cyclist I like to think I haven't caused any harm or concern to cyclist, I take great care when I meet & overtake fellow cyclist.
I am not so jaded that I don't think all motorist have physco tendancies, but it's a given , especially in busy towns that most drivers do not exhibit care when they come across a cyclist.
I happen to ride a recumbent trike,and can say that far more consideration is given to me when I am aboard that , then when I am on the upwrong

Bonus

Veteran
Minding my own business, riding home from work along Worthing seafront many years ago and a woman pulled out of a petrol station without looking. She was going in the same direction as me - so I was able, with no small amount of effort, to avoid going into the rear RHS corner of her car. Scared the life out of me and I shouted at her as she drove off. I was cross, and I knew there were traffic lights half a mile up the road. Adrenalin kicked in and I chased her down. I caught her at the back of the que, rode up to her passenger window and tapped on it. She refused to look my way but I could see she was as white as a sheet - I believe she knew what she'd done and it was an honest slip. (of course that would have been little comfort to me had I been laying in the road astride a broken bike, but I wasn't) so I said "do you think you could be a bit more careful next time please?" She nodded an enthusiastic Yes and, I hope, remembered it in the future.

Likewise, I'm sorry to say that I have, once or twice in my life, done something (not necessarily bike related!) without thinking and remembered it forever precisely because of the scare it gave me.

so I said "do you think you could be a bit more careful next time please?" She nodded an enthusiastic Yes and, I hope, remembered it in the future.

Likewise, I'm sorry to say that I have, once or twice in my life, done something (not necessarily bike related!) without thinking and remembered it forever precisely because of the scare it gave me.
Probably a good way to phrase it
most people will be aware of what happened - and will know it was their fault
but it was a mistake
shouting at some people just makes them angry ==> blaming the other person ==> no learning

a polite 'please be more careful next time' is far more likely to result in them actually being more careful next time

what also helps - in my opinion based on no research whatsoever - is thanking people when they do the right thing - even if it is stopping very late after no seeing you first time
as I am always right this must be correct - my wife is available with other opinions:whistle:

Bonus

Veteran
what also helps - in my opinion based on no research whatsoever - is thanking people when they do the right thing - even if it is stopping very late after no seeing you first time
as I am always right this must be correct - my wife is available with other opinions:whistle:

I'm a big fan of giving someone a nod or a wave for doing something right - even if it was something they were supposed to do right anyway.

I've said on here before on my thread (The Pyrenees - Road Riding, Mountain Biking & Enduro Riding…… and more! | CycleChat Cycling Forum ) that the general attitude towards cyclists here in Spain is way better than I was used to in the UK or South Africa. Here we're given space and shown courtesy the majority of the time and when it doesn't happen, it's almost always by accident. Very rarely is it on purpose because the person is an peanut.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Reminded me of the time I misread a situation on the road and drove past a Land Rover driver who was waiting for a blockage up the road to resolve itself.

He didn't react very well, tailgating and flashing lights etc, but when we stopped at the junction ahead, I got out, walked back and calmly apologised for misreading the road and he was perfectly nice about it.

Sometimes people can be totally different face to face than behind the wheel.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm a big fan of giving someone a nod or a wave for doing something right - even if it was something they were supposed to do right anyway.
In general yes but there are exceptions, as I've mentioned elsewhere. I feel the overthanking at zebras has misled some motorists into believing they're optional, like they're treated in some other countries. https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/thanking-drivers.279133/

I was crossing the road on a zebra/bike crossing yesterday and a driver saw me a bit late and slammed the brakes on with a very apologetic look. I'd assumed he would pass as he was on top of the crossing when I was approaching, but the law about stopping for bikes and pedestrians is drilled into you when you learn to drive here and it's almost a reflex action for most drivers.
I generally say thanks on that crossing because it's right on a road island and the sight lines are awkward, I appreciate drivers taking the extra care, but that is in the context that if they do hit me, then they will have serious insurance and possibly legal repercussions, so I don't think there's any danger of them assuming it's optional (except for the usual minority).

Top Bottom