Catching the bug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've just done a mini-tour to take part in this:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34519

Cycled over to Beverley on Friday, with tent, sleeping bag, bed roll and minimal clothes on my FCR seen here:

View attachment 3668

47 miles. Stayed at HelenD123's on Friday night, as we were to be up early to do the Big G 60km ride on Saturday. After that, picked up the luggage again, and on out to Soltydog's field in Mappleton and a night in the tent Went for icecream on Sunday, then broke camp, having been offered supper and a real bed on Sunday night, then rode back on Monday, 55 miles with my gear. Had a great time and it's fired up my enthusiasm for a European camping tour some time in the distant future. Having seen Piemaster's Trangia I'm compiling a Christmas wish list:

Trangia set, with kettle.
Fire steel.
Other stuff as I think of it - I'll need bigger panniers, or a front set and rack, assuming I get the Galaxy up and running.

It's funny, although the handling was a bit different for the first few yards, the weight really didn't trouble me too much. I've carried luggage before, but never tent and so on, not any distance. I suppose the fact that, even on a day ride, I pack for every eventuality has helped my stamina.

Anyway, I'm a happy bunny.

peanut

Dear Happy Bunny
it has been brought to our attention that you are carrying your weight rather high these days:sad:

We wondered if there would be any benefit in balance and stability if you were to fit your panniers lower down ?;)

Love ya bike . I think i would quite like touring but i couldn't camp due to my back unfortunately.
I suppose I could stay in YMCA hostels :biggrin:

Sounds like you had a great time .:laugh:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hard to know how I could carry them lower down, since the rack has to fit over the rear wheel and the panniers have to clip to the rack. If they were bigger, they'd go down further, but I'd fill them with more junk so they'd be heavier.

I had no handling problems, apart from the bar bag making my front wheel swing round when I parked the bike.

If you mean YHA hostels, they would do fine, but do it soon before they all close or become exclusive to bloody school groups.

peanut

you can get racks that fit a lot lower than yours. it keeps your centre of gravity low and helps with steering and stability especially on hills.

I'll see if I can find any links or info

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
peanut said:
you can get racks that fit a lot lower than yours. it keeps your centre of gravity low and helps with steering and stability especially on hills.

I'll see if I can find any links or info

Thanks, but please don't waste your time. I'm quite happy with what I have, and anyway, I don't have money to spare at the moment...

The rack itself could barely fit any lower, as it's only just above the mudguard, which has little wheel clearance. If you mean a rack with cross bars at a lower level, I suppose it would lower the bags, but as I said, I didn't find it a problem. I don't descend fast anyway, however lightly or heavily loaded.

Also, I'll eventually have a different bike for touring, one that can carry more stuff.

peanut

Arch said:
Thanks, but please don't waste your time.

never heard my helpful suggestions called a waste of time before . Must be another one of them prickly minority group persons :biggrin:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
peanut said:
never heard my helpful suggestions called a waste of time before . Must be another one of them prickly minority group persons :biggrin:

Look, I have a bike and set-up I'm happy with, and all you do is tell me to change it. I don't regard that as helpful. I'm quite capable of researching stuff for myself, or asking if I have a problem and need advice.

I only posted this thread because I felt good, and so far the only responce has been you being critical, however nicely you meant it. If that makes me prickly, so be it.

I must admit pictures of bikes and panniers make me pine for the road. Soon, soon, I keep telling myself.

Can't see a problem with the setup, in fact it looks pretty sparse considering you're camping. Mine looks like that without camping gear.

Easy to catch the bug isn't it. I must admit to throwing my bike in the corner for over a year after one three week tour though. It was in Scotland and I did get wet. Apart from that, love touring and any overnight stay counts in my book.

peanut

Arch said:
Look, I have a bike and set-up I'm happy with, and all you do is tell me to change it. I don't regard that as helpful. I'm quite capable of researching stuff for myself, or asking if I have a problem and need advice.

I only posted this thread because I felt good, and so far the only responce has been you being critical, however nicely you meant it. If that makes me prickly, so be it.

I think you need to get a grip Arch :biggrin:

I praised your efforts and admired your bike if you look at my initial post.
I think you have taken my observation about your rack as a critism which it certainly wasn't.
it was you that mentioned how wobbly and unstable your bike felt with the racks on remember ?
It was that comment that invited my helpful observation :smile: or maybe not so helpful :evil:
chill

Every time I go on one of the Friday Night rides tt Coast Arch, I get to see a lot of lovely tourers (two in particular I have my eye on..the bikes are nice as well :biggrin:) but, anyway, it makes me want to get one and take off - abroad I suppose, but just away from it all, chucking ones thoughts on the carpet of life and not bother to sweep them up into tidy piles for a while...

Sounds like you are bugged, what with tenting it and Cyclogs - good on you!
No umming and ahhing - just done it! 10/10 :evil:

Davidc

Guru
I think I'm clean now - haven't done any for years.

Touring that is - beware Arch, it's highly addictive. Makes class A drugs look prety tame.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
peanut said:
it was you that mentioned how wobbly and unstable your bike felt with the racks on remember ?

No, I said:

"although the handling was a bit different for the first few yards"

That doesn't mean 'wobbly and unstable', it just means different. Like I feel different carrying a heavy rucksack of shopping compared with no bag at all. Look, sorry if I was snappy, but that bike, like all my bikes, has a great deal of sentimental value in the set up, and any criticism feel quite personal.

Anyway, thanks everyone else! Crackle, yes, the luggage is minimal, I was helped by not needed cooking gear, Piemaster and Helen were both bringing stoves and said I could share. If I was fully self supporting, I think I'd need bigger (or more) panniers, and they would probably be a bit much for that bike - he's only a light compact road bike in 25mm tyres, and I'd be sure to fill all the available space. Once I have the Galaxy back and set up again....

I dunno what happened to me this summer, I've just got out more. A whole heap of emotional stuff maybe, a reaction to turning 40 and a need to feel I've achieved something even if the PhD goes tits up.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I saw your pictures, Arch, and wished I'd gone to that get-together.

In fact, I too, pine for the road whenever I see someone else's loaded bike. Especially if they're riding it and I'm driving...

Considering our recent river trip, and our Moulton tour of South Africa back in February, and the recent weather, I suppose I shouldn't have cause for angst, but you know how it is.

Plus we've almost completely decided to cycle to Mrs Uncle Phil's job in Norway via Denmark, possibly including the Netherlands and the necessary bit of north Germany, in September...

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Uncle Phil said:
I saw your pictures, Arch, and wished I'd gone to that get-together.

In fact, I too, pine for the road whenever I see someone else's loaded bike. Especially if they're riding it and I'm driving...

Considering our recent river trip, and our Moulton tour of South Africa back in February, and the recent weather, I suppose I shouldn't have cause for angst, but you know how it is.

Plus we've almost completely decided to cycle to Mrs Uncle Phil's job in Norway via Denmark, possibly including the Netherlands and the necessary bit of north Germany, in September...

It was indeed a good weekend - a small select band, but all good company. It's highly likely to happen again... For a start we all want to better our performances in the Big G sportive....

Sounds like a great trip you have planned. I found myself thinking last night, whether it was better to get down to the South Coast and cross the channel to get to the continent, or to get the Rotterdam ferry from Hull, because I could ride to Hull in a day. On the other hand, I also fancy Harwich to Denmark.

And this is a tentative trip, planned for about 2 years in the future!

Top Bottom