Catering for a deformed foot...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
I have such a large bunion on my right foot it must be considered a deformity! So much so that I have had to have my walking boots specially made and when viewed from above they look like two left boots :smile: My day shoes all eventually split the stitching even when I can buy extra wide fittings..

My current bike, which I use for exercise and touring, is an old Dawes Mean Street and I use standard pedals with toe straps which can be adjusted for width to accommodate an old pair of soft trainers (which have split on the right foot of course). I'm now looking at purchasing a new MTB for my off road jaunts and it got me questioning if there is anything better in the way of pedals/spd shoes which will cater for my deformity. If anyone has come across a solution I'd love to hear about it.

FOAD

Surgery?

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Don't fancy it. My daughters both had it done with only limited success in one case and negative effect in the other. I don't get any pain with mine and I can't afford the two months immobilisation I was quoted a couple of years back when I was considering that avenue.

FOAD

I have just got some SIDI's in a standard fit and though I have a wide foot and high instep they fit great. I can only assume the Mega versions are as wide as a wide thing....might be worth a try?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
You could try Bill Bird at www.billbird.co.uk

I have not bought shoes from him, but he is my Tai Chi instructor. Some one in the class recently mentionned that Mr Bird had done some boots for the Para Oympics Equestrian Team. This gives me the impression that he might be able to help you.

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Thanks for all the input. It occurred to me that my most comfortable footwear are my Clarkes sandals. I looked for SDP sandals on the net and found that Shimano do a pair that are almost identical in design to the ones I wear. I've ordered a pair to see how they fit. I can always return them if not suitable. I'll report back once I receive them.

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Sandals arrived. Very good fit on the 'normal' left foot. Not a bad fit to the right foot as the three straps can be adjusted individually. Cleats fitted ok. I'm still waiting for my new bike so I fitted the spd pedals to my York exercise bike to get used to the way they work and to check the cleat position. All ok. no p[ain in knees or legs so they must be set about right. :sad:

Top Bottom