Cat's water consumption

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
That sounds like a lot!

He’s a good age though. My last moggy made 20 too.

I sometimes wonder about my indoor Siamese’s thyroid as she eats a lot and stays skinny. She’s only 4 though so wouldn’t have thought so. Is it not more an elderly illness? She belts around the house a fair bit though so maybe just burns it off.

T4tomo

Guru
My two are 14, the neutered male is very solid, like a middleweight boxer who hasn’t been in the ring for a while, the neutered female is skinny but with a saggy belly.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
My one cat went at 11 with cancer, but she was a pure white ragdoll and deaf……

Sooty went at 13 with kidney failure, we rescued him from a market vendor at 8wks old…

now we have daisy who is 3 now, a nice chunky size, she’s been neuted and has a little saggy belly

and now we also have scamp, 4mth old demon from hell, but so funny and loving when not being the demon…..he will be nueted in a few months….

they all eat and drink well and are also indoor cats….cant risk the roads up here by letting out to roam.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ours are indoors - does sound alot of water but our old cat drank alot, and the other that had over active thyroid did to.

So long as they are happy, eating, drinking weeing and pooing ok, then fine. Our Tiggy was sttruggling to move then wet herself, so it was time.

Slick

Guru
I'm a first time cat owner of a wee beauty we rescued from Romania but she hardly drinks a thing so we bought her one of those fountains but that hasn't helped. I'm obviously quite wrong but I thought it was bad for them if they don't drink enough?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm a first time cat owner of a wee beauty we rescued from Romania but she hardly drinks a thing so we bought her one of those fountains but that hasn't helped. I'm obviously quite wrong but I thought it was bad for them if they don't drink enough?

If they are on wet food they won't drink much. One of ours prefers dried, so does drink more - loves her fountain.

Slick

Guru
If they are on wet food they won't drink much. One of ours prefers dried, so does drink more - loves her fountain.
She is on the Gravy Lovers and sardines. She eats better than me. :okay:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

Yeah like Fossy said, If they're on gravy / jelly wet food most cats drink surprisingly little. Mine has never drank much from her bowl.

But you have to also bear in mind that cats are sometimes crafty finders of water so what you're giving them in a dedicated bowl might not necessarily be all they're having, mine sometimes hops in the bath when nobody is around and drinks the puddle and the drops from the taps.

My last cat but one drank hardly anything most of her life and only started to hoover up water when her kidneys went, drinking a lot is rarely a healthy sign in cats.

Slick

Guru
Yeah like Fossy said, If they're on gravy / jelly wet food most cats drink surprisingly little. Mine has never drank much from her bowl.

But you have to also bear in mind that cats are sometimes crafty finders of water so what you're giving them in a dedicated bowl might not necessarily be all they're having, mine sometimes hops in the bath when nobody is around and drinks the puddle and the drops from the taps.

My last cat but one drank hardly anything most of her life and only started to hoover up water when her kidneys went, drinking a lot is rarely a healthy sign in cats.
Didn't realise any of that, thanks. 👍

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Ours use to have 3 sachets a day and then a small amount of dry , but all of a sudden he was being very loose straight after eating so we are now just feeding him plain white fish , chicken breast and tinned tuna and a different variety of medicated dry food it's stopped his looseness ^_^.
Always been a house cat whilst with us .
Some days he looks a bag of bones but then next day he looks better .

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I have caught mine with his head down the loo having a crafty drink, and regularly drinks rainwater from a bucket in the garden, despite 2 bowls of water regularly refreshed around the house.
Same! She doesn't drink from the dedicated bowl very often at all, but the odd errant hairs in the bathroom sinks and the bath tell me that she goes in there for a regular drink. I've caught her once or twice coming out of the bathroom after hearing her jump down from the sink. And she loves finding rainwater in garden pots, it can be filthy looking but she'll always prefer that to a bowl. No idea why.

T4tomo

Guru
Same! She doesn't drink from the dedicated bowl very often at all, but the odd errant hairs in the bathroom sinks and the bath tell me that she goes in there for a regular drink. I've caught her once or twice coming out of the bathroom after hearing her jump down from the sink. And she loves finding rainwater in garden pots, it can be filthy looking but she'll always prefer that to a bowl. No idea why.
indeed, mine will also jump in the bath and drink from the running bath tap, obviously turned on to only a slow trickle, otherwise their feet get wet and they leg it!

Top Bottom