Cavendish holding cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Sorry if this seems a thick question, but this is the first year I've watched the TDF.

Tonight and lastnight, in the highlights, they showed Mark Cavendish holding onto the window of the team car while discussing tactics on the move. (It might have been the same shot tonight as last night, not sure).

I can see it would be difficult to ride fast and talk at the same time to someone in a moving car, but doesn't that mean he's actually getting a bit of a rest, while the rest of the field have to carry on cycling?

Spinney said:
Sorry if this seems a thick question, but this is the first year I've watched the TDF.

Tonight and lastnight, in the highlights, they showed Mark Cavendish holding onto the window of the team car while discussing tactics on the move. (It might have been the same shot tonight as last night, not sure).

I can see it would be difficult to ride fast and talk at the same time to someone in a moving car, but doesn't that mean he's actually getting a bit of a rest, while the rest of the field have to carry on cycling?
It's generally accepted, but only up to a point. If the race commissaires think that a rider is hitching a lift then they'll punish the rider. It's more of an issue in the mountains.

One of the riders many, many years ago used to pick arguments with the race referees. While they argued he would, naturally, hang on to their car as the altercation raged. Sneaky! ;)

theboytaylor

Isn't one way around getting caught touching the car if you're being handed a bottle from the car, but "forget" to let go and as the car speeds up you get a tow?

Saw this on Monday's highlights (I think) after someone took a tumble. They got up, the team car handed them a bottle - took 30 secs to complete the handover, by which time the guy was whizzing along at about 30mph!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
They often take a few seconds ride but any more would be asking for a penalty as CXhuffy said. It beats me why they do it really as the 2 second ride doesn't seem to be worth it.

theboytaylor said:
Isn't one way around getting caught touching the car if you're being handed a bottle from the car, but "forget" to let go and as the car speeds up you get a tow?

Saw this on Monday's highlights (I think) after someone took a tumble. They got up, the team car handed them a bottle - took 30 secs to complete the handover, by which time the guy was whizzing along at about 30mph!
I think there are certain allowances made if you're getting back on after a fall or a mechanical problem. Generally speaking (correct me if I'm wrong) a rider in that situation won't be penalised if he drafts the team cars as he comes back through or gets a slingshot while collecting a bottle, although the race refs have been known to apply the rules inconsistently.

rich p said:
They often take a few seconds ride but any more would be asking for a penalty as CXhuffy said. It beats me why they do it really as the 2 second ride doesn't seem to be worth it.
Being given free acceleration to race speed must feel like a great free gift if you're busting a lung trying to get back on.

yenrod

rich p said:

Rich - if you can't understand it try accelerating to 25mph and holding that speed whilst looking like 'your not really doing anything' !

Think you'll understand, thereafter !

I was just about to ask this question myself. I think they should be allowed to draft back up there, as then its not much more work than if they just stayed with the peloton, but clinging on is obviously a little bit of an advantage.

That said, cant say i blame them for wanting to ensure an arms-length between them and 2 tonnes of support vehicle..

Jonathan M

They're allowed to hold onto the doctors car (the white convertible) if seeking medical attention.

In terms of safety, did anyone catch the point where one of the Schlek brothers was almost hit by his own team car as he tried to get back up to the peloton after either a puncture or a crash? He obviosuly was not happy with the team driver, that much was clear, as the car squeezed past just as Schlek cut a corner.

theboytaylor said:

I forget who the rider was, but in the film ´Overcoming`Bjarne Riis was ´passing´ a bottle to a rider who just wanted to take it from him. There seemed to be a tug-ofwar between the two of them, before the rider crashed and nearly ended up under BR´s wheels!

Poor old Bjarne looked beside himself with grief, but the rider was unscathed. Was funny, though! xx(

rustychisel

Dayvo said:
I forget who the rider was, but in the film ´Overcoming`Bjarne Riis was ´passing´ a bottle to a rider who just wanted to take it from him. There seemed to be a tug-ofwar between the two of them, before the rider crashed and nearly ended up under BR´s wheels!

Poor old Bjarne looked beside himself with grief, but the rider was unscathed. Was funny, though! :smile:

Bobby Julich; broke his hand and had to retire from the Tour

mr-marty-martin

in the uk its a terrible rule...

i no riders who have been fined, then banned for not paying them cos they got a tow after a crash ( not an actual tow, just drafting the car )

but in the same race a higher stated rider got let of with it...

in pro races its generaly exepted tho as usualy all the teams o i from time to time so no ones going to bitch about it...

Top Bottom