Cavendish wins sports personality of the year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I was made up Mark won, he deffinately deserves it! And I love that he mentioned the increase in cycling and commuting. and how we understand the pain it takes to ride in the tour. Well deserved. You wouldn't of thought a cyclist would be winning a few years ago.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Two words: fark yeah!

I am at a wedding, but am so happy at this development, I had to take to the interwebs!

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
There have been some great ambassadors for cycling recently, Chris Hoy and others, but last night Mr C was excellent, he came across very well indeed.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
according to an aquantance of mine (was a freind before this morning) cycling is not a sport! lol. he thinks Golf is though, apparently its a hobby!

back on toppic, a great ambassador for the sport and one of the reasons ive taken to cycling more often and further distances! will see if i can catch the program on catchup to see it as i missed last night

Davidc

Guru
Cavendish deserved to win and it's great publicity. Unimaginable only a few years ago.

Greatest sport(s?) on the planet, but still a long way to go to get to Dutch, Belgian or French levels of popularity. Dazzling results in the Olympics would help of course.

Also good that a real physical sport was at the top. I have nothing against Darts, Snooker or Golf but can't view them as anything other than pastimes or games. Far prefer to see runners, swimmers, cyclists, hockey players etc. being acknowledged.

Batmancaver

I never normally watch much sport, apart from cycling and rugby, and was rather ecstatic that Cav won the award. It's the first time I've EVER watched that award show and one of the rare times that I picked up the phone to call in a vote!

I often wonder how other sport personalities win their awards for simply scoring winning goals, or winning a few tournaments. But no matter how talented they are, Cav has achieved something that no other sportsman has ever achieved (I think) therefore he, and cycling, well and truly deserved the award.

What pleased me also was Cav's attitude. Yet again, who does he thank? All the rest of his team and the rest of the cycling world for getting him to where he is. He is truly a sports hero in my book for his modesty and although I'll never be at his level, yes he inspires me to get out there and ride.

Oh, and wasn't it unusual to see him struggling to say something ^_^

Well done Cav, and roll on next year!!

Nearly there

Veteran
according to an aquantance of mine (was a freind before this morning) cycling is not a sport! lol. he thinks Golf is though, apparently its a hobby!

A work colleague said to me last night whos mark cavendish?And proceeded to rave on about how good a sportsman sir steve redgrave was(and i agreed)I then asked him how many people do you know who rowe?How many people do you know who cycle?He couldnt answer back to that.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
thats the trouble in this country, cycling is not regarded as a serious sport but i honestly think that all that is changing but it is still a long way from acquiring the popularity and respect it has on the continent. Well done Cav anyway. His winning might improve the sport in the UK.

Willo

thats the trouble in this country, cycling is not regarded as a serious sport but i honestly think that all that is changing but it is still a long way from acquiring the popularity and respect it has on the continent. Well done Cav anyway. His winning might improve the sport in the UK.

I think the popularity of folk participating in road cycling for exercise is only helped by the profile of the pro cyclists. There is definitely an increase in the numbers out on the road around my way; seems to be a combination of those adding/discovering cycling on the back of running, spinning in the gym or triathlons, and the increased profile of British cycling. In will take a long time, but overall the more people that cycle, the more those people will be aware of cyclists when they are driving (and telling others they are with to be aware) plus the more that cycle then the more chance there is of decent cycle routes etc.

Re the SPOTY, well done Cav. As a fan of other sports, not just cycling, even with my balanced view he was the right choice for me.

Top Bottom