CC Ecosse (West) ride - Sat 19th Jan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seamab

I'm hoping to come along. Unfortunately, i'm nursing bruised ribs etc... after a spill off the bike last Friday. Hopefully, it will be better by 10 days or so and hopefully also the mild weather may still be here.

Remember the last Kilmacolm ride didn't get back to Xscape until after 4pm and i think we left at 10.30am. So we might need to be careful about time management and eat the cakes quicker!

GBC describes much of the Eaglesham route in his "Strathaven Circular" thread. I'm sure he mentioned something about a minor road closure until Feb. I'd be keen to avoid the A71.

The Loch Lomond ride is probably the best option to cater for all abilities/fitness but personally i'd prefer a hill or three...

OP
OP
Rasmus

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Good thinking, seamab - I had completely forgotten about that thread. I looked at the South Lanarkshire council website, and there is indeed mention of Scottish Power roadworks in that area. If weather allows I might be going for a recce ride this weekend.

It is possible to avoid the A71 by turning off just after Moscow, but it comes at the price of a few more miles and climbs.

Another alternative that just popped into my head would be to loop back towards Glasgow westwards, via Stewarton and Neilston. This would be a shorter ride (~65-70 km), which would perhaps be more appropriate given the amount of available daylight.

Can someone advise the non-locals about car parking options? I'm fairly clueless in that area.

GBC

Veteran
I've been trying to motivate myself to put my name down for this run, as, like some others here, I'm not sure what I've got in the legs at the moment. I was out for a 25 miler on Sunday which was fine, but before that, the last time the bike was out in anger was early November. I have been playing on the turbo trainer though, so hopefully that will have done some good.
The road works that Seamab mentioned are at the 54 Km mark on the map, which does kind of screw it unless we head for the A71. Seamab mentions that he's not keen on that and I can appreciate where he is coming from. Ramus's suggestion of heading west and coming back through Stewarton would be good, although I did a run last year which included the Neilston to Stewarton road and it was in a hell of a state then - I'd be very surprised if anything much has been done about it since.
Another option would be to take the Glasgow road out of Stewarton (B769) and then cut over to the A77 at Newton Mearns. From there, the 77 has cycle lanes/ bus lanes for most of the way back into town.
I'd be happy with either this or Loch Lomond, but would probably lean towards Loch Lomond if pushed, if only because I've never done it.
I can't help with car parking in town Colin, but if we do the Eaglesham Moor run, I would intend to join the gang near the 6 Km mark on Clarkston Road as I live very close by. If you, or anyone else, wanted to park there, there's plenty of on-street parking available.

OP
OP
Rasmus

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Looking at the map I have realized once again why I tend to not go out southwards from the city - there is simply too much urban cycling involved before the open countryside is reached. So, if doing a route out there, I think starting somewhere in the vicinity of Clarkson sounds like a good plan - but perhaps waiting until the roadworks are finished would be optimal?

Deviating once again from my original route suggestions, I have come up with a plan combining the "not sure how my legs are" sentiment with the "wouldn't mind a wee hill" crowd: Outbound to Balloch/Loch Lomond on the NCN 7 cyclepath, and inbound on road via the back road to Croftamie and the Queens View climb. This climb is pretty gentle, but still enough to keep it interesting. Quite scenic, too. We can hop onto the Kelvinside path in Maryhill to avoid traffic on the last bit into town. I believe this is tarmac all the way to Kelvingrove Park.

route map here (on road for the gravel section of NCN7 - although I think you'll be OK on a road bike even on the gravel bits).

There's loads of parking spaces at the SECC or across the Clyde at the Science Centre - I don't think they're free, though.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Guys, SECC charges £ 6.00 for parking. Science Centre I'm not sure, think it's free, maybe there is a time limit on it. Maybe the BBC lets you park free?
There is a new car park that charges only £ 3.00 all day just before the North Rotunda.
Enjoy the ride: I will be working that Saturday :sad:

GBC

Veteran
Sounds good to me Rasmus, although I'm a bit suspicious of your 'gentle climb':sweat:
I'd certainly agree though, that if we go south some time, starting either in Clarkston or Newton Mearns would make a lot of sense.

GBC

Veteran
On the south of the river, there's also plenty of on-street parking in the nearby Tradeston Industrial Estate, between Paisley Road West and M8.

redcard

Veteran
Guys, SECC charges £ 6.00 for parking. Science Centre I'm not sure, think it's free, maybe there is a time limit on it. Maybe the BBC lets you park free?
There is a new car park that charges only £ 3.00 all day just before the North Rotunda.
Enjoy the ride: I will be working that Saturday :sad:

Pretty sure the Science Centre is £3 for the day

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I'm a bit disconcerted by a couple of things:
  1. for this time of the 'season', I think the routes are a bit long :unsure:
  2. if Rasmus reckons they are 'Hard' ... :eek:
  3. I'm 'bent now and struggling to get up anything hillier than a billiard table ... :blush:
  4. my mathematical ability seems to have deserted me
I've managed one ride to Linlithgow this year (pretty flat 57km) and have only done about 300km since Mrs Scoosh had her 'off' in August. Fit :sweat: I am not. :secret:
Maybe I'll just have to wait a bit before I can join you all again on the road .... :sad:
Have a good ride and Ride Safe ! :bicycle:

zizou

Veteran
If wanting somewhere to meet to go for a ride on the southside then Pollok Park is a good option - close enough to the centre to cycle too (with a cyclepath that goes through it) plus free parking. If you were to meet there then head out the gate right Pollokshaws road to Thornliebank then the Stewarton road it will be about 5 miles until you are on the segregated path that goes along the A77 which you can then head down. Although a more pleasant route would be Pollok Park and heading over Barrhead way and then going up past the dams (not on the busy Aurs road though, there are a couple of much quieter alternatives) then taking a right on the road that goes to Stewarton. After a few miles of that you can then cross the moor and join up with the A77 - head back along that to Pollok Park and that would be a ride of about 30 miles, hilly first half then downhill for the last 10 miles or if you go over past whitelee windfarm to Eaglesham then add another 10-15 miles and another hill onto that.

btw the A77 and the road past the windfarm is (surprisingly enough!) very exposed to the wind so always best to decided what direction to do any routes on the day.

Reactions: GBC

Seamab

Seems like a nice compromise Rasmus. On the way back is that the road past the Carbeth Inn? I recall being there in my yoof ...If so, it might be a good stopping point.

Seamab

If wanting somewhere to meet to go for a ride on the southside then Pollok Park is a good option - close enough to the centre to cycle too (with a cyclepath that goes through it) plus free parking. If you were to meet there then head out the gate right Pollokshaws road to Thornliebank then the Stewarton road it will be about 5 miles until you are on the segregated path that goes along the A77 which you can then head down. Although a more pleasant route would be Pollok Park and heading over Barrhead way and then going up past the dams (not on the busy Aurs road though, there are a couple of much quieter alternatives) then taking a right on the road that goes to Stewarton. After a few miles of that you can then cross the moor and join up with the A77 - head back along that to Pollok Park and that would be a ride of about 30 miles, hilly first half then downhill for the last 10 miles or if you go over past whitelee windfarm to Eaglesham then add another 10-15 miles and another hill onto that.

btw the A77 and the road past the windfarm is (surprisingly enough!) very exposed to the wind so always best to decided what direction to do any routes on the day.

That sounds like a good route Zizou. Any chance you could post up a wee route of the quiet Barrhead option for those of us who have little knowledge of the area? I have parked in Pollok Park before for a ride with no problems. Lots of space early in the day.

Seamab

When in Glasgow City Centre we usually park up beside the Piping Centre at Cowcaddens. There's a cark park just round the corner that charges a flat £5 for the day. Return by 7pm.

Top Bottom