CD to USB without itunes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommy2

Über Member
Just got a new car that has no CD player so need to copy everything on to usb, I'm not a fan of iTunes, what do other people use to do this, I know there will be stuff on the laptop like Windows media player but wonder if anybody uses anything quicker/easier to do it.

Thanks

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
what Paul said.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Extremely simple to use to create MP3s to whatever fidelity you choose. It's a minor faff to setup the exact file structure you want to create your library, but only minor - and it's especially important if your taste extends beyond the 3-minute pop song which is the default view of the world on all the big commercial media players. Most of the CDs in our large and eclectic selection are already in the free online database it uses to populate track and artist names.

I then use Media Monkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com/) to play MP3s, and talk to MP3 players and phones.

All free, although MM has a paid-for version.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I use Windows media player, it's good. I use another prog to fill in the blanks you occasionally get if I can't be arsed to type it in. I've tried a couple of others but WMP is the best I rec. iTunes is pants.

LonesomeWanderer

Über Member
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Extremely simple to use to create MP3s to whatever fidelity you choose. It's a minor faff to setup the exact file structure you want to create your library, but only minor - and it's especially important if your taste extends beyond the 3-minute pop song which is the default view of the world on all the big commercial media players. Most of the CDs in our large and eclectic selection are already in the free online database it uses to populate track and artist names.

I then use Media Monkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com/) to play MP3s, and talk to MP3 players and phones.

All free, although MM has a paid-for version.
+1 for EAC, I use it for all my ripping.

I used to use MediaMonkey all the time but it started insisting on scanning all folders on every startup which made it very slow when I just wanted to play a song, so I switched to MusicBee for playback while still using MM for organization.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4881459, member: 43827"]
EAC and Windows MP (obviously) do not work on Linux based systems. I only have Ubuntu on my PC. Is there a good application for use on Ubuntu?[/QUOTE]
Asunder.

If you don't like that, try sound-juicer if you use gnome or ripoff if you don't. All in the app store or software centre or whatever it's called now.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you have a Windows laptop, like others have said, Windows Media Player.
There really is no need for anything else.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
If you have a Windows laptop, like others have said, Windows Media Player.
There really is no need for anything else.
unless
your taste extends beyond the 3-minute pop song which is the default view of the world on all the big commercial media players

In particular if you have the sort of musical tastes where it's important that your randomiser can be forced to follow (say) track 2 of a CD by track 3, because track 2 is the introduction to a movement of a baroque sonata that finishes on a dominant seventh and it must be followed by the rest of the movement to avoid a musical heart attack*.

I suspect devotees of jazz, musical theatre and world music have similar quirks which the enormous world of commercial music doesn't care about.

*This is a perhaps unsurprisingly common experience in our music collection.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
unless

In particular if you have the sort of musical tastes where it's important that your randomiser can be forced to follow (say) track 2 of a CD by track 3, because track 2 is the introduction to a movement of a baroque sonata that finishes on a dominant seventh and it must be followed by the rest of the movement to avoid a musical heart attack*.

I suspect devotees of jazz, musical theatre and world music have similar quirks which the enormous world of commercial music doesn't care about.

*This is a perhaps unsurprisingly common experience in our music collection.

I reckon @Tommy2 is onto AC/DC, Motorhead and Little Mix personally.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
[QUOTE 4881459, member: 43827"]I have the same issue with my new car.

EAC and Windows MP (obviously) do not work on Linux based systems. I only have Ubuntu on my PC. Is there a good application for use on Ubuntu?[/QUOTE]
Amarok.

Top Bottom