Celebrity spotting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Close the thread. @DaveReading has won!

Pfftt!! I was standing on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh one day (actually at the opening of the Scottish Parliament), and several burly guys came over and told us that The Queen would be making her walkabout on our side of the street.

When she came a couple of minutes later, I was close enough to punch Her Maj, but instead I said hello and took a picture!

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
Pfftt!! I was standing on the Royal Mile in Edinburgh one day (actually at the opening of the Scottish Parliament), and several burly guys came over and told us that The Queen would be making her walkabout on our side of the street.

When she came a couple of minutes later, I was close enough to punch Her Maj, but instead I said hello and took a picture!
Arse licker. :smile:

Loads of bike racers;Guy Martin John McGuiness,Marc Marquez,Dani Pedrosa,Nicky Hayden,Loris Capirossi,Loris Baz,Conor Cummins,Ben Spies,Jorge Lorenzo plus others mostly in paddocks/pit lanes at bike races.

Had a nice chat with Guy about Performance Bikes magazine,McGuiness about that f*****g chain that came off at the TT that year and Conor about adapting to circuit racing after the roads.

Oh and American racer Jake Zemke(ex-AMA champ) when he was riding in the UK,who was surprised people knew who he was.

And motogp race winner Chris Vermeulen walking down Ely high street with his better half(she's from Wichford -they actually got married in Ely church)carrying two Mavic wheel bags;he actually crops up sometimes on Strava segments around Ely.

Was probably more star struck meeting Lizzie and Marianne at the Womens tour though:wub:.

Had former England captain Graham Gooch come in to the shop I was working in and asked where the pork pies were:laugh::hungry:(take it Cambridge Uni Cricket Club hadn't ordered enough).

Oh and a page three girl(dunno her name now)used to come in frequently as well.I didn't know who she was but the store manager was a bit of a lech and recognised her.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Forgot to mention that I also met hideo kojima (the guy behind Metal Gear Solid) and a gaming expo down in Earls Court many many years back - I queued up with my friends to get a handshake, a photo & our event passes signed, At the same event i also met the artist behind the Judge Dredd comics. Think he was Andy Clarke, he was doing some amazing custom doodles for £20-30.

Forgot to mention that I also met hideo kojima (the guy behind Metal Gear Solid) and a gaming expo down in Earls Court many many years back - I queued up with my friends to get a handshake, a photo & our event passes signed, At the same event i also met the artist behind the Judge Dredd comics. Think he was Andy Clarke, he was doing some amazing custom doodles for £20-30.
This seems like cheating. Does it count at formal meet&greets, where you know the person is going to be there? Even more so if you paid to meet them. For example, I once "spotted" Douglas Adams at the lectern in a large lecture theatre giving a well publicised talk to a large group of students. I later "ran into" him when I reached the front of the book signing queue.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
This seems like cheating. Does it count at formal meet&greets, where you know the person is going to be there? Even more so if you paid to meet them. For example, I once "spotted" Douglas Adams at the lectern in a large lecture theatre giving a well publicised talk to a large group of students. I later "ran into" him when I reached the front of the book signing queue.

..... 42?

Mrs M

Guru
Saw Her Maj and Phil at the Holyrood Garden Party in 2005. Pouring with rain :rain: and the teeniest cakes and sandwiches in the world :eek: (Plus all the olds were hogging the seats) :dry:
Trump was in town at the weekend, saw the Trump copter overhead on our way home from Makro!
Regularly see some Aberdeen Football players in local supermarket, Mr M is embarrassing, "look, there's so and so, and his wife/lovely girlfriend :wub:"
:headshake::laugh:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~

I had no idea he was going to be there. In any case, I paid for entry into venue, not to deliberately see Kojima and have my stuff signed. I actually had no idea who he was as i didnt own a console or never really played metal gear solid games. My friends are still pretty salty about that.

I had no idea there were 'rules' to this thread. I spotted a celeb so I called it as i saw it.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Tony Blair, I had to go to Peterborough as part of my job at the time, when I got off the train I walked along a bridge in the station towards the exit. I thought, that looks like Tony Blair and it was!. He walked right passed me, very quickly. I was struck by how small he was in real life, he only looked to be about 5'6 or so.
He had a lot of hanger on types with him in suits, most likely security people.
On the news that night it said he was opening the wing of a hospital in Peterborough.

I saw him along with Henry McLeish and Jack McConnel (both now former 1st Ministers) at the unveling of a statue of Scotland's first 1st Minister, Donald Dewar in Glasgow, and yes, he is smaller than you'd expect (but not by much).

I also shook his hand, but disinfected it at the first available opportunity.

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
I saw him along with Henry McLeish and Jack McConnel (both now former 1st Ministers) at the unveling of a statue of Scotland's first 1st Minister, Donald Dewar in Glasgow, and yes, he is smaller than you'd expect (but not by much).

I also shook his hand, but disinfected it at the first available opportunity.
I shook John Major's hand in the 1992 General Election. I got offered a pass to an event at Manchester airport because I was interested in politics as a kid. I didn't expect much other than listen to a speech, but I had a good seat, and he walked past shaking hands with everyone. He seemed to have very large pores, but perhaops he was just hot with all the tv lights.

Top Bottom