Celebrity spotting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matiz

Guru
Met Enoch Powell a few times when I delivered his papers,and Dick Emery got me onstage in a pantomime,and Mrs matiz made Esther Rantzen a cheese sandwich .

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I used to work in Elstree so saw most of the Eastenders cast.
Michael Foot in the Army & Navy store in Victoria Street
Les Dennis picking blackberries with his daughter on The Parkland Walk in Crouch End

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Today me and the wife were having drinks in a London hotel and the wife said why's that man wearing a bandana in a posh hotel? I turned around and it was only Bruce Springsteen!
The wife flew over for a picture and he was more than happy to have his picture taken. As celebrity spotting goes, it's high up there.

The Mrs with Bruce

View attachment 132320

So who have you spotted out and about?

Hey, The Boss!

...And Bruce Springsteen.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Of course, I have seen various cyclists like Cav and Wiggo, not to mention various other cyclists and athletes like Sarah Storey and others at the Paralympics in London, like the now disgraced Oscar Pistorius whilst racing, David Weir, and so on. I also saw them all at the Athlete's parade afterwards and spoke to Geraldine Grainger.

Similar for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

I have also met some of the older Snooker players, like Steven Hendrie, John Higgins and Dennis Taylor.

Anyway, enough.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Of course, I have seen various cyclists like Cav and Wiggo, not to mention various other cyclists and athletes like Sarah Storey and others at the Paralympics in London, like the now disgraced Oscar Pistorius racing, David Weir, and so on. I also saw them all at the Athlete's parade afterwards and spoke to Geraldine Grainger.

Similar for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

I have also met some of the older Snooker players, like Steven Hendrie, John Higgins and Dennis Taylor.

Anyway, enough.
If you're going with cyclists, then I can include Sean Kelly & Stephen Roche. Sean Kelly visiting a relative whilst I was there.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Spoke to Prince Charles surprised at how tall he was. Met Kriss Akabussi once that's was an intense 30 seconds. Delivered to Terry Wogan Ulrika Johnson and Hugh Dennis. Shared a lift with Alastair Stewert in the Itv building on the river who for some strange reason I'd seen on countdown the day before (not that I'm a regular watcher) the countdown conundrum hadn't been guessed on the show but I'd got it within about 5 seconds. I proudly admitted this. He didn't seem impressed. Tore Andre Flo of Chelsea fame stood on my foot once he apologised I don't think he meant it.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I see Kirky from Corrie quite often as he takes his kid to the school round the corner .... *I don't feel any compulsion to say hello*

he's also a danger to himself & his child as a pedestrian.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I somehow managed to get the barman's attention before Pete Townsend did in The Uxbridge Arms, Notting Hill. I stood in a queue behind John LeMesurier in a Barclays Bank on Goldhawk Road. He was wearing a houndstooth sports jacket.
I discussed the merits of different types of mens' underwear with Susannah York at a late night party in southern Spain once. No demonstration was given. She was friendly, amusing and utterly delightful and also had the most beautiful eyes.

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Prince Charles went by me in his car. Spotted some River City cast.

I have seen Prince Charles several times, largely from a distance, but I once did get quite close to him as he stepped off the Royal Train in Carlisle a few years back now. He is tall, but not anything you wouldn't already expect really.

The train was hauled by steam loco 'Duchess Of Sutherland', which was just as big an attraction as 'Charley' was, beleive me!

I also once, many years ago saw Prince Edward walking up some steps in the Glasgow Concert Hall, having a moan about something to himself.

EDIT: It was Prince Edward, not Phillip as originally said (which would have been far more amusing). For some reason I seem to have a mental gap when it comes to Edward and Andrew, and I just call them Phillip for some strange reason. :blush:

To be fair, I have seen most of the Royals several times at things (I used to be a freelance photographer, so I'd go along to events), but I have yet to see some of the 'newer' ones, not that it bothers me now.

As for River City, well, I lived in Dumbarton (where it is filmed) when it started, and we all traipsed along to an 'Introduction' to it at the Football Stadium and met some of the people in it.
I never really watch it, so I have forgotten who they were, but they were mostly woman.

Curiously, despite the set being within view of my house, I never really saw anyone from it.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Met Enoch Powell a few times when I delivered his papers,and Dick Emery got me onstage in a pantomime,and Mrs matiz made Esther Rantzen a cheese sandwich .
I had lunch with Enoch Powell once in his house. We also invited him to our New Years Eve Party in about 1979. A prince of Burundi was also there. The prince threatening to "sort him out" when I mentioned that he was already in the house when he rang the door bell. They both got on splendidly and were laughing away within a few minutes.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I had lunch with Enoch Powell once in his house. We also invited him to our New Years Eve Party in about 1979. A prince of Burundi was also there. The prince threatening to "sort him out" when I mentioned that he was already in the house when he rang the door bell. They both got on splendidly and were laughing away within a few minutes.

Oooohh, get YOU!!

Last edited:

RedRider

Pulling through
I shared a house with the brother of a former soapstar and another ne're-do-well for a couple of years and every now and then you'd answer the door and one or another ex-Brookside cast member would be there.
I can't prove it true and as what follows would certainly bring this person down in the mind of a right-thinking member of the public I can't really go into details.
One day there was something happening when who should turn up but so-and-so.
Anyway, something else happened which was hilarious and by that time so-and-so was doing this thing. You can just imagine what happened next.
Fortunately the police decided not to take it any further so we all had a good laugh.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Oooohh, get YOU!! :laugh:
It must have been something to do with the expensive confectionery that we plied them both with.
expensive chocs.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom