cellulitis (again)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
aprox 12 months ago i had a bout of cellulitis, around the bridge of my nose and around the eyes . i finished up in hospital for 5 days on iv drip antibiotivs , cleared up pretty quick.
last niight i had what i can only describe as an uncomfortale heavy feeling in my lower legs, woke up this morning and instantly knew all was not well, pain in both lower legs , aarrgghh it looks like somebody has swapped my lower legs for those of a big shiny red elephant, so off to the docs , immediately said cellulitis though unusual to get in both legs at same time.
Antibiotics given and an appointment for first thing tomorrow ,when he will decide whether im off to hospital or not :sad: looks like im off the bike for a while :cursing:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Cellulitis is just awful. I have had it a couple of times, both times in the right foot, and know how horrible it is. Get well soon.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Sorry to hear that. Hope it clears up and you are back on your bike soon.

My own left ankle/lower leg also swelled up, felt very sensitive, and went bright pink yesterday morning. Your description of elephant legs strikes a chord with me . My wife immediately thought it was cellulitis, and that it would scupper my London to Brighton Overnight this weekend. It does seem there might be other similar things that are quickly treatable, though. In my case I took anti-hystamines (or however you spell it) and anti-inflamatories, sat with my leg up for a day and packed it with ice bags. It seems to have gone right down almost to normal now (despite going out for the day today), so I am wondering whether it was (a) a reaction to mozzie bites on recent holiday or (b) a slightly damaged tendon in my ankle. As you have symptons in both legs, I think you did exactly the right thing in going to the doc, as all sorts of nasty things (re heart/kidneys) can also have that side effect. Whatever it is, I hope it gets resolved quickly for you. Good luck.

I plan to keep on with the pills in the meantime and make my way to London for the ride. If I can't shift it by then I'll have to bale - and cancel my hotel at short notice and cancel my bike transfer, losing loads of money. In the meantime, I'll rest it as much as I can. Fingers crossed for both of us.

p.s. This has happend to me once before, and both times it has been a couple of days after an extremely strenuous ride, and it cleared up with ice and rest and putting my leg up as much as poss. If it is cellulitis, then it makes me wonder whether overdoing it on the bike might leave your system at a low ebb and make you vulnerable to a recurring bout........ Might be something to consider?

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
on the plus side , l it hasnt swelled any more than yesterday , very hot to touch and i generally feel like sh!te, doc says antibiotics should work so no need for hospital , yaay :biggrin:
on the downside , look at the weather:sun:bloody typical:sad: never miond i can sit in the garden and clean up the newly aquired GT zaskar fame and parts :thumbsup:

thanks for all your well wishes

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Feel your pain. Off the bike at the moment.

My mate has just been in hospital with cellulitis, his foot 'exploded' again. Saw the pictures last time and his went really bad, got badly infected.

Get well soon, and watch the Tour on the telly.

Best wishes to you, roadrash.

My daughter had a bout of cellulitis about 6 years ago, which left her foot with permanent damage. It's a horrible condition.

Top Bottom