Censorship

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Look at 'em! Daffodils - every one of 'em. (Not the bods looking out the window, BTW. They're probably nobbers).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcScJSxtHisFvTUqKGgJ-qvLqDlDD407aXQsFD8cw-7_kqDHZXrsqA.jpg
Why bring the Irish in on this?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'm not commentating on the specific one that the OP was talking about, but in general mods will change words if the person is trying to get around the swear filter by various means, so we will change it so that the alternative word appears.

The site is run to be family friendly, and if you want to swear lots there are plenty of other places where you can vent your frustration but it is part of this sites character, and people like the friendly banter they can have on here.

I must admit I find the daffodil one particularly funny (and we do notice that some people don't even invoke the swear filter but use the word directly).

Why not, seeing as it didn't involve any swearing or any attempt to bypass the filters, and the tampering with the post was nothing more than absurd knee-jerk prudery? Why not just restore the original post and admit it was silly? Saying who did it is not necessary.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Why not, seeing as it didn't involve any swearing or any attempt to bypass the filters, and the tampering with the post was nothing more than absurd knee-jerk prudery? Why not just restore the original post and admit it was silly? Saying who did it is not necessary.

My suspicion is that whichever moderator changed it doesn't know the rather odd beliefs of Dr Kellogg, which is what @jefmcg was referring to.

Perhaps the following passage from Wikipedia should be compulsory reading for all moderators?

Kellogg thought that masturbation was the worst evil one could commit; he often referred to it as "self-abuse". He was a leader of the anti-masturbation movement, and promoted extreme measures to prevent masturbation.[25][26][27] In addition, Kellogg thought that diet played a huge role in masturbation and that a bland diet would decrease excitability and prevent masturbation. Thus, Kellogg invented Corn Flakes breakfast cereal in 1878. He hoped that feeding children this plain cereal every morning would help to combat the urges of "self-abuse".[28][29][30]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harvey_Kellogg#Masturbation_prevention

[QUOTE 4258631, member: 45"]I remember the days when you couldn't type Scunthorpe on this forum.[/QUOTE]

Yes you could....

If you were very, very naughty and knew how to work round it

snorri

Legendary Member
I don't believe I've invoked the services of the swear filter yet but think the substitution of a naughty word with a completely different and meaningless word just emphasises the fact that the poster has used a naughty word.
A self defeating facility which merely encourages some posters to use naughty words:sad:.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Many of us don't believe there is any such thing as a naughty word. @Shaun disagrees, which his prerogative, and I'm quite happy to go along with the consequences.

Moderation is mostly very good, but sometimes amusingly silly, as in the case in the OP.

I have been "moderated".... and survived

The whole point is that we are privileged to have a voice on this forum... and there is an awful lot more leeway than on some others, however there are limits that are set by the moderators, and whether you agree to them (or not) you use the site by those rules

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Reactions: srw