Censorship

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
so many euphemisms, so little time

_74601555_74601554.jpg

I remember when Crocs first became popular with Nurses.

One of the girls in Casualty found a site Sweet Feet Shoes that offered an NHS discount. The plan was to order half a dozen pairs and get a discount

When they put "Sweet Feet" into Google, the results were very little to do with Crocs!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
To me this just proves that censorship is the similar to Communism / Dictatorship. A few trying to stop the masses having free speech, the masses always find a way around the ruling parties rules.

The mods lack of knowledge about a subject they 'modded' demonstrated an abuse of power, and a little glimpse into their childhood.

Other forums I go on are far more fun and open minded but despite the lack of OTT mods, suprisingly haven't descended into chaos and disgusting depths of dipravity.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't like being told what to do/what not to do but OTOH I don't want people to be able to (for example) insert ISIS beheading videos in whatever thread they want. You could argue that members doing that would soon become very unpopular and they might feel pressured not to do it, but I would rather a Mod just deleted such content and a warning be given to the offender.

I do think that there should be an explanation given to anybody whose post is modded. That could be done openly e.g. "Several unhelpful messages have been posted in this thread. Please stay on topic and remain respectful to the opinions of other members" or privately e.g. "You have been given several warnings for posting offensive videos. If you do it again you will be banned from the forum".

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
How could you reasonably know what to mod and what not to mod. As a wiser man than me said, in a slightly different context, "M is for the mistakes we sometimes make, surely a bit of controversy is part of the game's appeal."
A wise man should ask questions before judging others, no?

Confucius may have said - "only mod when Google-Fu is great".

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
A wise man should ask questions before judging others, no?

You've quizzed Shaun and the mods on the absolutes of what went on behind the scenes before leaping in in quite a judgemental fashion, no?

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
You've quizzed Shaun and the mods on the absolutes of what went on behind the scenes before leaping in in quite a judgemental fashion, no?

Ah, maybe you've not read the whole thread, the mod in question has acknowledged his lack of knowledge (see what I did there) and as such edited his edit (did it again). Please take my comments tongue in cheek and don't get upset over words on an Internet forum.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Ah, maybe you've not read the whole thread, the mod in question has acknowledged his lack of knowledge (see what I did there) and as such edited his edit (did it again). Please take my comments tongue in cheek and don't get upset over words on an Internet forum.
Ah, I did see Scoosh's response and mea culpa. Mistakes should be allowed to happen and be forgiven if they're acknowledged and put right.
Having been a mod elsewhere, If I had to research to the n'th degree every last reference in every post I saw then I'd need a full time salaried position. Mods on here are volunteers of their own time, no?

As you point out, the mod in question held their hands up and put right their mistake, on what is after all only words on an internet forum (see what I did there - we can all play the patronising card), you still chose to let rip after that had happened, hardly fair play.

As for tongue in cheek, yeah, OK, maybe that's how it sounded in your head.