Central Heating - on yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Apparently there is new advice to set the thermostat to 18 except for frail elderly when 21 is recommended

mines set at 19.5 but thats in the warmest room of the house and with my reyauds i have to be careful

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
As my last post said, the heating has not been put on yet, but, MrsP has been making strong noises about testing the heating, meaning she wants it on. I may fire it up this evening to check everything is OK, and bleed the radiators as necessary.
MrsP does feel the cold, or even when the weather is a bit cool she struggles with really cold feet and hands.

gbb

Legendary Member
Thermostat says it’s 16.2. Heating still off but I do have a jumper on.

Ours was almost exactly the same, it felt cold, probably felt worse as its the first cold snap. Double jumpered, then felt OK but relented and put the heating on for an hour as the grandkids spend the afternoon here on Sundays.
As an aside, boiler is just a year old, first service booked.

Ripple

Veteran
Ours was turned on yesterday. Comfy 22'C in my room. I could do without a heating (don't mind extra fleece on) but landlord's partner is from Philippines so she's always freezing. And bills are included in the rent so why not then.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I've just added up my energy use for the last 12 months. We have Gas central heating / hot water. I'd previously looked at one of our Monthly bills where it shows the Forecast annual estimate for each fuel, then realised that it changes month on month depending on usage. We're mid terrace so benefit from our neighbours helping to keep us warm. We were away from time to time over the year with just the hot water set to come on for ten minutes every morning to keep the pump / system active. About 8,500 kWh of energy consumed about 20% Electricity 80% Gas.
Gas boiler is 20+ years old but still going strong 🤞 Currently getting quotes for SolarPV + Battery, it will be interesting to look at the figures.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My wife has turned the CH on last night, against my better judgement, but what is she going to do when it is proper cold, cry.:cry:
Won't she just turn it on the same and let the thermostat either turn the emitter temperature up or, if it's an old-fashioned system, heat them more of the time?

Heating here is on this evening but the radiators aren't even reaching body temperature to keep the house warm.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
No central on here yet, but have had the wood burner on the last couple of nights. I don't really feel the cold, I often sleep in the back room, which is unheated, and that gets down to 4C quite easily.
The wood burner's great, heats up the lounge and the bedroom above and wafts heat elsewhere at the same time.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
No heating on yet, but I have put on a light fleece top. I'm no great fan of a warm house and the thermometer in the living room is showing 19°C which I find comfortable.

Top Bottom